hello & omg!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anotherworriedmum

Re: hello & omg!

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hello

Welcome :-)

We found this book useful as a starting point. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... 1plus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently the Bond books are not the only books suitable for Kent, I am sure that someone else will come along and explain more but we found the book on that link useful for me to get an idea of what was involved and also to see what level our DS was at before we planned a campaign of action!

Good luck, see you around, I am sure :D

AWM
mystery

Post by mystery »

A w m, read the blurb. what subjects does it cover and what does it mean by a placement test?
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Its in the loft so I am going from memory!

Its definitely covers Verbal, Maths and NR and I think it might cover English but we would have missed that out. For the placement tests your child does a test on the subject and depending on the results Bond indicate where you think you should start. So in my DS case we scored well on Maths and NVR so started on a higher level of books but in verbal he was lower so we started on a lower one. I found it helpful to know what types of questions there were in the tests too. I think that if you as a parent are fully aufait and are experienced at 11plus you might not find it necessary but I found it useful for planning a campaign.

Amazon (sorry admin!) have a preview of the contents here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bond-The-Parent ... 1408515822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but please buy it from this site as Amazon don't need your money!!
ardvark

Post by ardvark »

really helpful thanks so much
Jini

Post by Jini »

Welcome.

Same as you. My eldest is now year 5. All I will say is go with what you think is best for her. I am tutoring my dd but not excessively. We only do past papers for maths twice a week ( one paper in two sittings) and at this stage we are doing it together so that we see which areas she might need some help.( no time limit yet!) Fortunately at her school she gets lots of mental maths homework and lots (I mean lots !!!!) of reading comprehension homework. I have bought a maths book which is really good (published late last year by Galore Park) and I can PM you title as I am not sure if I am allowed to mention books on here (New here too!). The guidance is amazing and it covers most topics in 11+ and common entrance exam at 11. Best thing is to get her familiar with the papers format. Give her a bit of help with things she has not done at school or having difficult with. Do not overdo it with tutoring. I will leave verbal and non verbal reasoning papers until late during the year because I do not really believe in tutoring children intensively for NV and VR, only give them basic strategies about how to tackle unfamiliar questions. Feel free to PM me. People on this forum are very friendly and they've really nice to me :) so far!!!
erewego

Post by erewego »

Hi

I didn't do anything with my son until easter the year he sat 11+. Then he had 4 x 2 hours at a 11+ club with around 10 other children, ten 2 days in the holidays and he passed. Yes he is bright but nothing spectacular. Top set for maths 3rd set for reading and second set for reading.

I didn't want to over do it as I thought that he may not cope with grammar school if I just concentrated on getting him through the test.

I can now say just doing those few extra things bumped him up in his class work too.

His teacher says now he just needs me to read books that are above his reading age to him now. So he gets to listen to me reading my science uni books :?

I hope that helps and isn't a lot of old waffle : :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi, well it's nice to know it was painfree and easy for you. I guess it's different for each individual as their children may be at different starting points for various reasons. Also it very much depends in Kent whether you are aiming for a particular score, or just a pass. For some people it's only by getting a very high score that they are likely to obtain a grammar place they can travel to.
Hope your DS enjoys year 7 soon, and well done.
ardvark

Post by ardvark »

Hi thanks for your responses. Mystery how will I for example find out the information re scores. I appreciate for us it's almost 2 years away but how will I know what score my daughter will need? I assumed (wrongly it seems) that a pass was a pass, end of story lol! There is only one grammar school we'd be interested in as the others are too far to travel to we feel.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi aardvark on 1st march when allocations are announced you should be able to work out the score needed this year for your chosen school. If it is one of the west Kent SS you may be able to search on here and find listings of previous scores.