Skinners starters Sept 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Skinners starters Sept 2013

Post by doodles »

Just started to fill in the "passport" - had to temper some of the ideas; don't want him labelled before he gets there :lol: :lol: :lol:
OOCmum

Post by OOCmum »

I assume that it's just parents on 20th for the parents evening and that we don't take our darling sons?

What's everyone else doing?

:?:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Didn't take DS1 and won't be taking taking DS2, but am pretty sure that they are not banned :lol: I would ring the school if you are not sure.

Very excited!
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

We will be there too, I have a mixture of excitement and fear!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't be fearful AWM it is a fabulous school and my DS1 couldn't be happier there. I am so excited about DS2 joining him.
OOCmum

Post by OOCmum »

Can't decide if I am terrified or excited, will see you all on thurs...albeit kind of anonymously!
OOCmum

Post by OOCmum »

Any other parents DS going to Skinners on their own?

Would be interested if your DS has had a visit from the head of year as many children from the larger feeder schools have.

Whilst I understand the pressures on the school with many schools to visit, I have to say I am disspointed that lone starters are not getting visits from teachers at their primary schools.... surely if anything, these children need a little extra support as they face so many firsts without the support of peers....

I've suggested they set up hub schools, or invite our lone children to join meetings happening at larger schools?

Grumble over....

!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

There'll be loads of boys who are hte only ones from their school. Even big schools like my son's which is the biggest in TW (3 form entry) only have four boys going. When you know what class your son is in OOC mum send me a message on FB and I will see if I can put you in touch with a boy from my son's school who hopefully will be in your son's class. Do they tend to separate up the boys from primary schools at Skinners? I know they ask girls who they want to be with at TWGGS and try to put them with at least one person they want to be with but someone said they consciously split up boys at Tec so wondered what they do at Skinners.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm going solo as DH is taking the boys for an evening dental appointment!!

DS1 was a solo from his school and wasn't visited but he was absolutely completely and utterly fine. They are brilliant at settling them in. There are a few from DS2's class going and they have been told that they will be split up (I would assume into 2's) much better for them and the rest of the class I feel - and I am sure that this is what happened when DS1 started too.

They get to meet each other and exchange details at the induction day which my DS1 actually missed but they included him in all the bits and pieces.

Please don't worry, the staff have done this a thousand times before and in our experience are excellent at it.

If anybody wants to please pm me after tomorrow when we know which classes they are all in please do.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

My DS is in year 7 at Skinners. He knew absolutely no-one. I'm incredibly pleased to say that he has made lots of friends and is extremely confident. The boys go off on a team building holiday October time which really helps their friendships. Please do not worry about your DS's not making friends, etc. They will be completely fine. Boys are completely different to girls and rather than have special friends are happy to have a group of friends. My DS who went from a very small village school with less than 80 pupils told me the other day when arranging his birthday party that it is so hard to chose who to attend because he has so many friends at school! I must also add that the class prefects are fab and really help with the boys getting to know each other and the school. Your lads will love Skinners!