Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: New Format to the Test

Post by mystery »

I really hope that news is correct.
erialc1972

Post by erialc1972 »

This direct quote suggests they will sit 2 papers, rather than the 3 they do now, I'm putting my money on CEM....

'A major change is pupils will take two tests instead of three. These will continue to combine numeracy, literacy and reasoning and there will also be a writing exercise, as there is now.'

The goalposts have moved so much with regards to the NC levels they don't mean much now anyway do they? :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Quite possibly, but it's a public procurement exercise. If you were gl assessment wouldn't you adapt to the required format rather than let cem win another county?
erialc1972

Post by erialc1972 »

Yes, I would! It does seem an odd situation. It's all so cloak and dagger!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think they are just not good at explaining. It must be being done like any other procurement, but it keeps on being half baked news when there isn't any yet. Bit like those new schools that might never happen.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

All that stuff about the test being less able to be tutored for is the same line that's been pedalled for all the areas now doing CEM. I've only read it very quickly, but did I read that the test would be different in 2015? In that case, I hope they formally announce soon who will provide the test and what the format will be. It does sound like they've made up their mind already.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Also, if Sats are held in May, and the new exam is to be based on knowledge learned for the Sats, but the exam itself is held the previous September, that still means that pupils have to be 9 months ahead of the syllabus (hope that make sense!), which is the same situation at the moment, when a DC is tested on whole year 6 syllabus at the beginning of year 6.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It shouldn't necessarily mean it is cem as any test provider should be able to provide whatever they ask for in the specification. For sept 2015 I don't think the contract would need to be in place until July 2014. I think they are trying to explain that the test should be doable from what a child learns in school.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Searching back through the Kent forum, I came across this thread

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 19&t=26192

I realised that I had thought our DC were taking the test in 2015, not 2014 :roll: :oops: And the Kent Test is, apparently, only changing in 2015?

I also noticed that the thread mentioned that Bond VR was not the same as Kent VR :shock: ! Are they very different? Can anyone give me an example of the differences?
mystery

Post by mystery »

:D year 4 will take it sept of year 6 which is 2014 .... Yes, just checked on my fingers. Unti last Friday Kent was saying the 2014 test might change. Now they seem to be saying 2015 . Yes bond not identical but can't tell you inwhat way without examining papers in detail. Gl assessment papers also contain some question types which do not supposedly come up in kent. Kcc will not confirm or deny this.