Commuting from Tunbridge Wells to London Bridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Commuting from Tunbridge Wells to London Bridge

Post by mystery »

Anyone do this commute? Do you know at what times in the morning rush you would get a seat from High Brooms or Tunbridge Wells in to London Bridge?
Warks mum

Re: Commuting from Tunbridge Wells to London Bridge

Post by Warks mum »

Oooh that takes me back. I did that run for my first 'proper job' more than 20 years ago... It's probably changed a lot now though so I'm afraid I can't give you any real help.

In fact, I used to travel from Tonbridge at the time because it had more trains and didn't rely on the old rolling stock. If I remember correctly, it was in the days before they increased the size of the tunnels on the Tunbridge Wells section so they were using carriages that I often now see behind steam trains on historic railways...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that was interesting ..... but not quite what I was looking for! :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

DH used to take that train but pick it up at Sevenoaks. He says the 5.30 one was rather quiet :shock: , around 7 ish very busy....but apparently there's always someone who feels their bag needs a seat of its own and you just need to be brave enough to remove it. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Or safely detonate it? I wonder what it's like around 6:30 ish - I presumed it would fill up further south but maybe not.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DH has done S/oaks to LB for years now - I gave up a few years ago!! The train has always been very very busy, packed by S/oaks and never a seat; from LB down all the trains come into S/oaks but not all of them go to TW - you need to check. Cost is eyewatering from S/oaks and from TW it would be more.

However, he has discovered a coach service that takes him door to door and is considerably cheaper, there is a coach that runs from TW as well. Several coaches morning and evening. He leaves home at 6.50 and is sitting at his desk before 8! Try Centaur Commute - gives the timetables - may be an option for you.
mother night

Post by mother night »

I do this commute and it's fine. The 06.40 from TW has plenty of room, a seat on the return journey is not guaranteed but not too bad and it thins out after Chelsfield/Sevenoaks.
The only real issue is when there are weather /signal problems and that's when the fun starts...

MN
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank you mother night for the up to date info. At what times of the evening do you have problems getting a seat back? Doesn't the train start at London Bridge?

Is the line from Tunbridge Wells more beset with winter weather and signalling problems than some of the other lines in from West Kent / East Surrey?

On the 6:40 from Tunbridge Wells to London Bridge, are there still seats for people who get on at High Brooms?

And Doodles, thank you I will check out the coach info too.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

The Sevenoaks trains will start either at Cannon Street or Charing Cross. I often catch the 16.56 Sevenoaks train from Cannon Street (I get off at Grove Park) and get a seat but it fills up at London Bridge. I suspect later ones will be busier.
mother night

Post by mother night »

Hi Mystery

As Bondgirl says London Bridge is the last station out of London from Ch X via Waterloo or from Cannon St. I catch trains at LB at various times and the later you are from 17.00, the busier they tend to get. The 17.06, 09 and 31 aren't too bad.
Into London in the morning is fine from High Brooms, a lot of trains originate from TW but even the Hastings trains have room if you are travelling as early as 06.30 ish.
Opinions of reliability are pretty subjective- I personally find the service OK ( if horribly expensive) but you can get patches of signal problems which are really irritating. I don't worry too much about a couple of minutes and bad weather tends to affect the trains which originate from Hastings in the morning, but there tend to be sufficient trains from TW to get through; although getting home can be interesting.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now