TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twellsmum

Re: TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Post by twellsmum »

Thanks everyone, I am just relieved we got the news before he goes off on his school residential trip next week and before the induction days. Whilst he is a very gregarious and outgoing chap and knows lots of children going to both the school he was initially put down for and BG, it is so nice that he won't have to go to an induction day for a school he is not going to go to.

Also with BG, all his closest friends are going there and although he gets on OK with most of his current class, the ones going to SKA are not really close friends. Now he can walk there with his friend who he has known since he was tiny and I can drop off stuff he forgets on my way to the pool - LOL!

Finding it hard to believe now that my little chap will soon be a "big hairy Tec boy" (when the children were tiny we used to have to remember the lunchtimes for Tec so that we were not crowded out of the bakers when we went to get bread for our lunch so I used to chivvy them up by saying "Hurry up, it's nearly time for the big hairy Tec boys lunch!" and now I almost have one of them myself!

Now I have a two year break before I go again with the last of my lot!
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

twellsmum wrote:After eight very long trepidacious angst ridden months, I am delighted to say at long last that I now have a "trainee tec boy". We had the call this morning offering him a place at tw boys' grammar - yay!!!
What was DS's reaction.. :D
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

That's brilliant Twellsmum! So, so pleased for you :D :D :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that is great news, well done. When will it stop being called the tec?!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

By some weird stroke of luck, when we got the phone call (at about ten to eleven this morning) I was driving my son and my older daughter to Pembury for an ophthalmology appointment. The phone rang and I asked my daughter to see who it was. She said "It's Tec" so I pulled over by St James' church as she answered it. So I could tell my son straightaway that he had now had a place and he was so excited - the look on his face was a picture, made up for the look on his face when I had had to tell him he had a high school assessment back in October last year. He hasn't stopped grinning since and could barely wait to get back to school to tell his friends and his teacher!

As for when will it stop being called "Tec", well it changed its name from TW Technical High School for Boys back in the early 1980s but Tec is used by most people who grew up in TW affectionately (like TWGGS) rather than derogatively as some people wrongly (IMHO!) assume so I really don't see the problem, it is also far less of a mouthful than Boys' Grammar!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Fantastic and lovely he is so thrilled.

Tech is a great reminder of the tripartite system of education which was in fact bipartite in most parts of England and which kent still maintains.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Ha Ha, I have to agree Mystery! Even my year 10 TWGSB son grumbles when he hears 'grown ups' say it! They've moved on since the 80's :lol:
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all - who is planning to attend the year 7 parents welcome evening this Thursday 27th and can you recall what the schedule will be for the night?

Villagedad
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I'm going. The bumph I have just says evening starts at 7 - doesn't say anything else.
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Hi, yes we're going. I was going to come on here and ask the same question as well VillageDad! Don't know whether we get to hear what form they'll be in or maybe if we get contact details of other families near us etc...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now