Judd to start own admission test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Judd to start own admission test?

Post by mystery »

I don 't think judd sounds in the least interested in the scores from whatever the new kent test turns out to be. Scary.
CoffeeCup

Post by CoffeeCup »

Gosh
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

The Governing Body should decide at the November 2013 meeting whether to “Consult” on this change to the Admission Arrangements.
Wow "should decide"... "whether to "consult"", sounds to me like they might not even bother. I was a bit naive and assumed that they had to consult on an issue like this.
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

I read this differently... Seemed to me that it meant the Governors hadn't yet decided whether to move forward to the consultation stage ie they weren't yet committed to the idea rather than them considering forging ahead without consultation. I could be wrong but just wanted to put another possible interpretation on that.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do they have to consult? Kent. Cc is signing up to a new test by 31 July. They haven't consulted parents. If consultation was required every school will have to consult as if they sign up to a new test the old test will not exist. What's the point of all this consultation?
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

I always think that if they go as far as telling parents there will be a consultation then it is more or less a done deal - like when they told parents they were considering another form in year 7 this year, well it had already been discussed and decided.
Judd have noticed Skinners coming up on the inside rails in the last few years with parental/pupil choice and this is a way of singling themselves out again. Its a clever way of making them different again and I don't believe its anything to do with making it more fair. :(
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

From reading the statement, I get the impression they want a more rounded pupil, rather then one who has been over tutored.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Okanagan linked to a document a while back which was the summary specification for the tender for the new test. I am wracking my brains as to where it was posted. I am thinking I do no remember it referring to the need for the test to be used as top end cut off for judd, togs, skinners etc. maybe the old test was not designed for skimming off the top performers either. So maybe this whole exercise has highlighted to judd etc that it would be better to design their own than pay to have children selected by the kcc one. If my hunch is right, togs etc will have to follow, or continue, like now, to use a test for a purpose for which it was not designed.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22713311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC kent news have a story on it this morning.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The word "defy" is a misunderstanding as the article itself shows. Still I suppose it doesn't sound like exciting news really.

Presumably Skinners and TOGS are going to feel the same about the test - not necessarily the written element though, but its inability to discriminate well at the top end? It is a bit premature though as the bids were only due in on 15 May so I presume there hasn't been time to discuss the technicalities with the potential new test provider?