So, FGSG doing own test in Sept

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
U400JB9

Re: So, FGSG doing own test in Sept

Post by U400JB9 »

That would make sense.

What still concerns me is, here in Canterbury, there are 4 possible grammar options. That's 4 separate tests , possibly plus the KT. Which is horrible for these kids. That would push the parents to choosing which tests to take, reducing the choices they can then put on the SCAF.

That's if every school follows suit
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I vaguely recall that Folkestone Girls did have its own test and then had to stop.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Sooo pleased I'm done with this, it seems to be getting more stressful. :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Have I missed something in the letter which says that the Shepway Test is only open to Shepway residents (rather like the entrance tests for the Redbridge GS)? If not, and the inference presumably is that the test will be a bit easier than the Kent Test, why can't anyone else who might fancy a place at the relevant schools put their DC in for both tests, which then would not give Shepway kids any better chance than they had before? (Or will it not be any easier, just a possible "alternative chance" should your DC unexpectedly make a hash of the other test?).

Could they not just apply a different "pass" in the Kent Test for "locals" - however they legally want to define this - vs "the rest", as the Southend and Westcliff schools do here - we have enough places open to local children first more-or-less to guarantee a GS place to any child living within defined postcodes who get a certain minimum standardised score in the CSSE test.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

My DS took the Kent Test and Dover Boys test in 2012, we were told that entry to Dover Boys was either via their own test or the Kent Test. The Dover test includes an English paper which I think is a more accurate reflection of an all round pupil, he scored higher in the Dover than the Kent.

With regards to clashing of tests, we had the same problem last year with open evenings when non-grammar schools in our nearest town had their open evening on the same night as the boys grammar school and the evenings were before you had received the results when you still need to look at both. I spoke to KCC who weren't much help!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now