Judd to start own admission test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

whichwaytogo

Judd to start own admission test?

Post by whichwaytogo »

New poster but long time reader, and wanted to share that parents at Judd just got e-mail that the school is considering having its own admission test from 2014 for admission in 2015. Will include more creative writing than 11 plus and set and marked by themselves. So maybe a bit like St Olave's. Just thought I would share that info.
committed

Re: Judd to start own admission test?

Post by committed »

Looks like it would be very like St O's test - given the further information posted on their website:

Judd Entry Test

The Governing Body (the Admission Authority for the School) recently agreed the following motion:

The Headmaster should prepare the ground for a Judd Entry Test to be first sat in July/September 2014 for Sep 2015 entry. The Governing Body should decide at the November 2013 meeting whether to “Consult” on this change to the Admission Arrangements.

It is possible, therefore, that those seeking admission to Year 7 in September 2015 will need to register for and sit a Judd Entry Test. Should the Governing Body decide to go ahead with this then “Consultation” will take place around January 2014 and a final decision (“Determination”) made by 15 April. However we would expect to be able to provide information and guidance at our Open Evening in October 2013.

The current Kent PESE Test is designed to identify the most able 25% of the population and this works well across Kent, but is not entirely appropriate for The Judd School which rank orders applicants by “score” rather than “distance”. A replacement Kent Test is due to be introduced in September 2014, but its constituent parts are likely to be very similar to the current test. In recent years the Governors have noted:
· The “coachability” of VR (verbal reasoning) & NVR (non-verbal reasoning) tests resulting in a lack of differentiation at the top end (where Judd selects) and which may disadvantage students who do not have access to coaching (within or outside their current school)
· The lack of strong creative writing and literacy elements which we consider to be important skills for all students

A Judd Entry Test (if it goes ahead) would be balanced across English and Mathematics, testing the same skills and knowledge that students use every day in Year 5, thereby negating some (if not all) of the benefits of coaching. In essence the test would be very similar to that employed at St Olave’s Grammar School in Orpington and other top performing boys’ grammar schools across the country.

As stated earlier formal consultation will take place around January 2014 - anyone wishing to comment informally may do so by emailing clerk.gov@judd.kent.sch.uk; however it is unlikely that we will enter into any dialogue at this stage. An update on progress will be issued at the beginning of October 2013 to coincide with the annual Open Evening.

Robert Masters
24 May 2013
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Woh! how interesting. I didn't know schools were allowed to create their own version of a test - didn't realise St olave's did this. This will set the cat amongst the Pigeons.
Would the test include a creative writing piece, if so how is it marked and by whom??
How does the St Olave's system work?
mystery

Post by mystery »

How confusing. Do they know something about the new kent test? All the academies could choose to set their own test couldn't they?
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

tonbridgemum wrote:How does the St Olave's system work?
St Olave's set and mark their own tests - currently a 1 hour maths and 1 hour English paper. The English paper is a comprehension followed by a creative writing piece. No multiple choice apart from the comprehension.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Letter is on their website - in the Home section - letter from chair of governor's
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

This quote from the Head of Governors
The new KCC entry test will be an improvement on the current one
suggests the entry test contents are already known and, broadly, agreed upon.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Sorry if I appear dumb but who moderates the marking? What I mean is who decides the marking scheme of a creative writing piece and the criteria needed? Surely this just makes it into a entry test just like a prep school so certain children are already at an advantage.
I'm sad that Judd always seems to be pushing to become more selective (I'm an ex-parent so Ive been through the system there!) It is so determined to get the 'cream off the top' that now instead of using the kent test it will use its own and consequently chose its own students.
I'm not sure about it. :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Me neither. I hope togs does not follow suit as I have girls. I think a lot of good writing at this age is based on good teaching depending on how they grade the writing of course - style or substance?

I fundamentally disagree with what the head says and it would put me off the school. It will mean some highly intelligent candidates could be lost. That is good for twgsb and skinners.

Maybe this is the first hint that kent grammars will not all choose to purchase the tests procured by kcc. The Christmas consultation exercise clearly did not get buy in from judd.
CoffeeCup

Post by CoffeeCup »

I will follow this with interest as it will affect my second son

I assume children would need to still score well in the kent test? (As well as their own test?)