Tips from 2012 parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DaddyOh

Re: Tips from 2012 parents

Post by DaddyOh »

mystery wrote:Oh I'm not so sure everyone on here is that straightforward. Try asking for a recommendation for a good tutor in West Kent and see if you get one? PM me now please anyone who can recommend a good one. I'm fairly sure the silence will be deafening and that's in the famous West Kent area where supposedly everyone has such stunning tutors that they need to change the test.

And there's a few people who bring out the stuff to make you feel guilty about doing something when you know that they have done something too, but maybe just not in the same way.

Ha - yes the dreaded hunt a tutor game, I know of people who have called up tutors when their children are in year 1 to try and secure a place and many tutors are so oversubscribed they set 'entrance tests', and yet if you google west kent tutor you'll get one or two good hits at most.

It's all cloak and dagger stuff and if like me you aren't at the school gate then you're on your own!

Ho hum!

DaddyOh
mystery

Post by mystery »

My inbox is empty!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not sure how this thread is helping the 2012 takers but ..........

When you recommend a tutor to people I personally think that you need to know the person that you are giving the tutor's name to. The tutor we used was such a lovely gentle retired teacher I felt slightly protective of her and wouldn't want to recommend somebody I didn't know at all in case they turned out to be aggressive / unpleasant / didn't pay / axe wielding mass murderers etc etc. ( and before anybody jumps up and down I am not saying or inferring that anybody on here is like that :lol: :lol: ) but when I did recommend our tutor to somebody I did it the other way around and asked the tutor first if it was alright to give her name and telephone number to that person.

Just a thought as to why requests on here may not get a great response.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I'm not in west Kent and not a 2012 parent-i'm a 2014 parent aiming for indy or one GS (basically out of catchment ) with a 2010 child who ended up in a comp I'm not pleased with, after doing all sorts of tutoring methods for years-from that experience (various well-known tuition establishments, 3 tutors, online paid for subscriptions and workbooks). The best method so far has been the DIY approach-supplemented with a specific subject tutor for one or two areas when I could find one-a rare event! With DIY I know I am finding and focussing on the actual areas of weakness-no tutor has done that properly with either child. Also I am working specifically on the few schools we actually want and their specific exam requirements-this is very complicated for us.

Also I can arrange and reward the work in a way that suits my child. They don't care about certificates, little toys etc. but do like a bit of chocolate and a new book. And genuine praise for effort not gushing for the things they found a breeze.
peter45

Post by peter45 »

We have had to joys of doing the 11+ exams second year in a row. For our first we used a tutor one on one, for our second child who is taking the exam in September we used the group approach. Both have their benefits and limitations. Our DD who was successful and accepted into a TOGS. We turned down offer in favour of the Weald of Kent, which some may see as crazy but the child has to suit the school and the school the child. I guess what I am trying to say is you need to find a tutor that, like a school suits your child. If you think your child will cope in a group investigate that or if you think your child will do better one on one look into that. I have a few names I can give you if you would like to PM me. Am I right is guessing it is for the 2014 exam and not the 2013 exam?? I think it will be almost impossible to find a tutor this late in the game! Also a few children do a week course in T/Wells who are applying for the West Kent schools. It starts on August 12th and run for 5 days. It essentially covers everything that is in the exam and the children do mock exams.
I hope this helps. We have a break now for 2 years! :D
METINSOLO

Post by METINSOLO »

Thank you 2012 parent for all your feedback. 2013 parent are a quiet bunch.

U400JB9 It looks/sound sad :( when you think about it me going through 2012 post but as I said in my initial post I have found it invaluable. Also did you use other papers besides GL and maybe Bond?

As West Kent Mum and doodles pointed out the theme is that little but often and quality is what one needs to bear in mind.

The support and information one gets on this forum is great and as UB400JB9 and ginx pointed out I do need to stay on here for my sanity as I feel I am constantly thinking of 11+. I believe I need to stock up on my two favorite wine and chocolate, perfect excuse to indulge no need to wait till Christmas :D .

Pheasantchick thanks for the tip I have now started using the 10 minutes on those busy days when time is limited.

My ds engage in a lot of after school clubs 3 out of 5days so I rarely get to see other parent and the 2 days that I do I dash in and I am out of there like flash, no time to engage in parent boasting about their dc’s.

Mystery I hope you have now been inundated with numbers for tutors. I also agree with your point that it depends on where the child is at. My ds when we started the 11+ practice December/January he picked up non verbal very easily I didn’t teach him, he has always being good in maths a level 5b. He was weaker with verbal but has since improved greatly and he is a level 5c in literacy. He does read a lot especially when he gets a book he enjoys he can’t put it down. But I am aware that there are children with levels like that who end up not passing/getting through the 11+. I am concern about him s he is very competitive and confident but I am worried he might become over confident, some might say it’s a good thing but I worry as this can sometimes result in silly mistakes. i am trying to curb it. I will appreciate any advice with regards to this issue.

I would also appreciate any information from parents whose children did a mock test as to which one did they do it if there is one around Dartford area can you provide me with the details.
Thank you
doodles

Post by doodles »

METINSOLO wrote:....... 2013 parent are a quiet bunch.
Think that perhaps they may be a bit busy and pre-occupied at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck to all 2013 takers and those on the road for 2014.
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

Yes, good luck to everyone - whether you are a 2013 or 2014 taker! And well done to all 2012 DC (and their supporting parents!) who are now getting ready to leave primary and take the big step up to secondary school.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

mystery wrote:My inbox is empty!
I have pm'd you Mystery !