Weald of Kent to open Grammar School in Sevenoaks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whichwaytogo

Weald of Kent to open Grammar School in Sevenoaks?

Post by whichwaytogo »

The plot really thickens. This just came through on my twitter http://www.kentandsussexcourier.co.uk/W ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not clear if it is co-ed, probably just girls I guess (I read it fast, so maybe I missed where it says!)
pheasantchick

Re: Weald of Kent to open Grammar School in Sevenoaks?

Post by pheasantchick »

Wow - Sevenoaks is going to be overrun with schools at this rate.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Big item on South East Today.
mystery

Post by mystery »

That sounds good.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

mmm. Perhaps good, but not so good if it means dispute with KCC as to who runs the annexe. In just over 16 months time, those of us with current year 4 children will be filling in our choices. It needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later if a Sevenoaks Grammar will open for 2015. The last thing needed is schools arguing over who gets to run the annexe. I'm surprised, I thought all the West Kent Grammars had been asked to run the annexe and declined. Why are Weald suddenly so keen, when potentially it is throwing a spanner in the works? :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Optymum wrote:mmm. Perhaps good, but not so good if it means dispute with KCC as to who runs the annexe. In just over 16 months time, those of us with current year 4 children will be filling in our choices. It needs to be sorted out sooner rather than later if a Sevenoaks Grammar will open for 2015. The last thing needed is schools arguing over who gets to run the annexe. I'm surprised, I thought all the West Kent Grammars had been asked to run the annexe and declined. Why are Weald suddenly so keen, when potentially it is throwing a spanner in the works? :?
According to the article, they didn't think it was a worthwhile proposition when Kent CC only wanted a four-form entry school, but are interested again now the spec has apparently been changed to six-form entry.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
bristols

Post by bristols »

Why would this 4 form to 6 form entry thing make a jot of difference as to whether to take on the annex or not? It sounds like a poor excuse to get involved, from a school who has never to my knowledge shown any interest in running the Sevenoaks annex before.

I think all of the West Kent grammar heads thought that if they didn't do the annex then it couldn't happen. Now that they realise that Invicta's plans are a reality they are trying to derail their plans and retain control of the situation.

If you think about it, Weald has more to lose to the Sevenoaks annex than any other West Kent grammar. TOGS, Judd and Skinners will always manage to super select from somewhere even if it's from London or Hastings. Sevenoaks is outside of TWIGGS' catchment area and also increasingly out of that of TWBGS. However Weald takes over half of its intake from Sevenoaks. Of course they don't want a rival (and higher achieving) school in Sevenoaks. Sounds like a panicked and badly thought through plan to me with no concern to how this could delay the grammar plan.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Surely they are already too late for 2015 anyhow? Also, it is not kcc choice who runs a grammar annexe. Any grammar could potentially have an annex proposal and go through the same process as invicta. They presumably can't all get the kcc handout towards a sports facility that was mentioned some months back.

I think the reason for 180 being more attractive than 120 is that it is a better size for a secondary school in lots of different ways. As it is effectively a new school and not an annex this is why size could make it educationally and financially viable or not.

The puzzle is though why Weald makes it sound as though kcc dictates the size. Presumably to get dfe approval, if that is what is needed, the applicant has to show a demographic need and the impact on other schools.

All told a bit of a puzzle. But it was already puzzling. I still don't understand why it is a political campaign for a grammar in sevenoaks rather than kcc as commissioner for places setting out ways of ensuring there are sufficient grammar places year by year in the west kent area.
bristols

Post by bristols »

The Sevenoaks Grammar team have been writing again:

http://sevenoaksgrammar.com/grammar-sch ... lite-plan/

They sound less than happy about Weald and it makes interesting reading. Somehow I don't think Weald are going to come out of this smelling of roses.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't think that particular link is fragrant either.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now