MGS Latin

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frangipani

MGS Latin

Post by frangipani »

Does anyone with sons at MGS know if Latin is for the top two sets only or if it can be chosen by the parents?
My son wants to study Latin if he gets a GS place but I am not confident that he would be a top set. The MGS website states that parents can choose one Language and the school allocates a second. But does this also count for Latin?
nicnacnoo

Re: MGS Latin

Post by nicnacnoo »

Latin at MGS is usually allocated to the more able students in English (they study three languages - one that you choose, one that is allocated plus Latin).
Iceskatingtracing

Post by Iceskatingtracing »

As far as I am aware unless anything changed recently, Latin is only taken by the two top classes in English. They do 3 languages in years 7 and 8 and the rest have extra English in the timetable instead.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh, I didn't know that. Both my ds are weaker in English then maths/science so that's a good thing (for them anyway ) .I know MGS are quite keen to address literacy weaknesses and say boys often are not so great which of course impacts on the rest of their work. Ds2 English teacher said at the recent parents consultation that many boys don't read or like writing and they really try to turn that around.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds good either way - a knowledge of Latin can improve your English significantly. It was our Latin teachers that taught us grammar, and it helps with spelling too. So either way a winner at MGS!
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Thanks everyone.
My DS is very able in maths and science and loves reading but dislikes writing, which has become his weak area. We are working on it!
He really wants to take Latin so I hope his writing improves or perhaps we can get a private tutor if needed.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If he knows that he can only do Latin if his writing improves then surely that will be a real target for him. Set him that goal to get to do Latin and if he is really keen then I am sure his writing will start improving. We are doing Latin privately and loving it so I can really recommend it. DG
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Come to OPGS! My son chose to do Latin, rather than Spanish or German. There are about 30 boys in year 8 who have chosen it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now