11th September verbal and non verbal - changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: 11th September verbal and non verbal - changes

Post by mystery »

Could you PM the mods - they are listed under the forum title?

Out of interest, did your son practice all the VR and NVR types which are contained within all 8 GL Assessment familiarisation papers for verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning and still feel that there were some questions which didn't fit into any of these types?

Maybe GL Assessment is trying to demonstrate this year that they can provide a bit more surprise in their papers to give them a better chance of winning the tender against C E M which will soon be awarded?
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I also wondered if GL had introduced new types of VR this year. My daughter said that it was harder and there were some different types in the test to the ones we studied (GL, IPS, Walsh, Bond, First Past the Post etc.) when she sat the St Michael's test earlier this month. None of the children around her finished it, including DD, and VR is her strongest subject (95-100% in the IPS and in the 90+% with the others).
westkent

Post by westkent »

My DS said it was the most difficult paper for him which was a shame as that was the one we were really relying on to up the mark a bit!!

However he didn't mention seeing anything he hadn't seen before. That may be something else for me to worry about!

What did he fail to spot?!
Dande

Post by Dande »

That's what I'm worrying about. Going to have to wait til home time to interrogate my little one!
MadHatter

Post by MadHatter »

I thought they might throw in some curve balls with this one so I told DS to expect the unexpected. Consequently he has no recollection of whether there was anything unexpected in the paper and I am none the wiser...
TestingTimes

Post by TestingTimes »

My son said he was fine with both the VR and NVR papers and was familiar with all question types. However he also said that he thought that 4 of the 6 question types that don't usually turn up in the Kent test VR paper were included this year.

These question types stood out for him as I'd marked them in the IPS VR guide and told him they were unlikely to come up in the real test. We did cover them and I think they were also covered in the GL pack 2 papers but because they were marked in his book he remembered them.

I'm just interested to know what others thought as I'm worried my son may have totally misunderstood the whole paper!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

DS will have covered more than just the 15 types as we're also preparing for indie school exams, but some of the VR questions were identical to a walsh paper he had started (but not finished as "it was much harder than the GL ones"!) the day before. He didn't notice anything strange in the NVR either, other than the girl he was sat next to managed to do everything incredibly quickly.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I have never quite understood the table on this website that says that you won't get all the 21 GL question types in Kent papers. Just because someone somehwere has seen a lot of past papers (to have constructed this table on this website) it doesn't mean that they may not come up does it? And also, there's nothing anywhere to say that GL couldn't dream up another question type is there?
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

My ds said all types were as he expected. He had done all types though in his practise papers at home.
Sorry , no help I'm afraid x
Dande

Post by Dande »

Yeah, I've drilled my DC this evening - and there was nothing in the paper that they had not already tried before.

The mind boggles.... Roll on results day!