Hi can anyone let me know the entry level for this school? Thanks :D
scarlett

Re: Oakwood Park, Maidstone

Post by scarlett »

Just a basic pass.
Myrtle

Post by Myrtle »

Hi Scarlett, do you mean you just need to pass the 11+ to be considered? Went to the open day today and the happy Y7 guides said you need 360. Is that the basic 11+ pass mark in 2012? Thanks
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, just 360 which is the pass mark. It always has been ..so am assuming it still is ! They do take the boys who appeal and I don't think it's a pushy grammar ....has good results and the last ofsted was outstanding I think. Pheasantchick on here has a son there..she might give you more info. I have two boys at Maidstone Grammar if you want to know anything about that school ?
Myrtle

Post by Myrtle »

thanks!! Yes would be interested to hear your thoughts about MG although still undecided about it purely from a commute point of view. We in a small village west side of Maidstone.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We live a fair distance too but luckily there is a bus straight there from our village...just takes over an hour ! I'm really pleased with Maidstone. It's disciplined and instills good morals plus the teaching seems to be good. Both my sons are doing really well and look forward to going in which is a bonus ! I also like the fact the school is really well organised and if you ring up with a problem they can't do enough for you and everything's sorted straight away.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Dc2 has just started at Oakwood and so far, so good. He has made lots of friends, and seemed to be coping with work okay. A friend who's son has had some settling in problems has received excellent pastoral care.

You need a 360 pass to get in. We just missed that and got in on appeal.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.
Myrtle

Post by Myrtle »

Hi pheasantchick, how does the hw work? At many of the schs I've seen there is an electronic system where you can see when they arrive, what the hw is, even what they have ordered for lunch. Our tour guides for the open day said they had to purchase lunch with cash and I forgot to ask about the system for hw, attendance etc. how's yr DS coping with the hw - can you give an indication of how much and how long? Also did yr son know anyone there and do you know what systems are in place for hooking up
pupils who know nobody! Thanks :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Hi,

Homework - looking at his homework planner, dc has a couple of pieces most nights. He has managed okay and usually spends no more than an hour. The only homework he hasn't enjoyed so far is learning French vocabulary.

We have been given details to go onto the website but I haven't done so yet. We can get details of attendance etc there.

Dc has packed lunch. It does surprise me that the canteen uses cash - so many other places uses an electronic card system now.

In July, there was an induction day when the boys met their class. It's not unusual for their to be 'only' boys in grammar schools so they are aware of this. Also, the pastoral care at Oakwood has a good reputation. My dc has settled in well, despite knowing two boys in his class, and one in another. He has made lots of new friends.
Myrtle

Post by Myrtle »

Thanks pheasantchick