The more I read about it, the more confused I am.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chrystelle

The more I read about it, the more confused I am.

Post by Chrystelle »

Sorry.

We live in Kent (kent / Surrey borders) and my daughter goes to primary school in Surrey she took and passed the 11plus. (Took it on the Saturday 14 Sept) My question is how likely is she to be offered a grammar school place? Is she in county or out of county? We are getting her scores tomorrow so we will know if she can apply tonbridge grammar school which I believe is superselective.

What makes someone Out of county, does it mean the child's home address is outside the county or the primary school is?

She likes the Tonbridge Grammar, The weald also in Tonbridge and the Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for girls.

Sorry my post is a bit muddled up, a bit like my head at the moment.
hermanmunster

Re: The more I read about it, the more confused I am.

Post by hermanmunster »

It is their residence - have a look at the maps in the admission document

http://static.squarespace.com/static/50 ... ents-a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I thought OOC meant out of catchment rather than out of county. If you live in Kent then you are more likely to get in to some of the schools in Tonbridge/TW than for example if you live in Sussex. TWGGS is predominantly catchment only (plus 14 places to teh highest out of catchment girls BUT if you live just into Sussex (3 miles) you have less chance of getting in than someone in say Edenbridge (12 miles) as preference given to those in the Kent scheme of education.
Chrystelle

Post by Chrystelle »

Thank you for your replies. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Most school admission policies use home address and not feeder primaries in their admissions criteria.

Read all the up to date admissions policies carefully before filling in your CAF.

You have listed the three grammars that your child could potentially go to. You would have to speak to Tunbridge Wells and Weald to see if children from where you live do generally get a place on 1 March or later from the waiting list or appeals.

As your daughter passed you will surely get a place as there are enough grammar places - a lot of grammars have put on extra classes in recent years and there didn't seem to be a problem last year after reallocations, waiting lists, appeals etc.
Chrystelle

Post by Chrystelle »

Thank you for the info. :) i feel a bit more optimistic after reading your reply :) This grammar school business is all very new to me. My youngest daughter wanted to take the test, asked me to tutor her, and was very determined to do it. So pleased she passed, she tried so hard. Can't wait to tell her she has passed tomorrow evening when she comes home from her residential school trip. Poor thing still does not know she passed as I was not allowed to contact her to let her know.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now