Full marks anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
METINSOLO

Re: Full marks anyone?

Post by METINSOLO »

Thank you bristols. I know we are lucky to be in this position and I never thought it could be so difficult to decide. I hope your dc is able to get into his/her first choice.

ryancq we have the same situation in the house as my other half and I have opposite views and do not know what to do for the best. I will look out for your pm as it will be good to talk to someone in the same position.
cassandre

Post by cassandre »

:oops: full marks here for out of county DS.
Thinking and hoping for Judd.
Hardworkingmum

Post by Hardworkingmum »

DC scored 139 141 141 - almost full mark
Well done to all kids passed the test ;-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

This thread doesn't make much sense statistically.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

mystery wrote:This thread doesn't make much sense statistically.
Lol - very true.

It's not true that the same amount will get the top score each year. The standardisation is done using a normal distribution at the 50th and 25th percentiles. For various reason the distribution in Kent is not a normal distribution (it has fat tails) so a small variation in those fat tails could conceivably make a large difference to the number of 'full marks' each year.

That said due to the pressure in certain areas of the county the number of top marks each year has been varying but only in one direction!

DaddyOh
doodles

Post by doodles »

I seem to remember that last year's 423 score was a described as a "blip" - perhaps "blips" are now standard!! :lol: :lol:
mikeash

Post by mikeash »

DS scored full marks :D but we are OOC. Can any one tell which are best schools for boys and which superselective schools consider only score ,not the catchment?
TestingTimes

Post by TestingTimes »

Is it possible the way the tests have been standardised has changed this year?

I know so many children that have scored 141 in both VR and NVR but ended up with scores of 407-412 due to dropping so many marks on the maths paper. These children come from 5 or 6 different schools, so I doubt it's a teaching issue.

If the maths paper was this hard I would have thought the required raw score for full marks would have come down, not gone up. It doesn't seem to make any sense.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Interesting question. It is not a big enough sample to draw any conclusions, but it would be interesting to see the actual distribution of the test scores for the three different tests.
doodles

Post by doodles »

mikeash wrote:DS scored full marks :D but we are OOC. Can any one tell which are best schools for boys and which superselective schools consider only score ,not the catchment?
Which area of the county are you looking at?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now