Head Teacher Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bobthecat

Head Teacher Appeals

Post by bobthecat »

Hi
This is my first post. We live in East Sussex, i.e. out of Kent catchment. My daughter got a good aggregate score - 387 - in the 11+ but failed Maths by 1 point. Our head teacher didn't launch an appeal and has justified it by saying 'we cannot get involved at an earlier stage'. Reading between the lines, the HT neither decided to, nor decided against launching an appeal. Does anyone know if this constitutes unfairness and whether we would have a case for a late appeal? Another East Sussex school head appealed for a similar case, fewer aggregated marks and failed by more marks, and this child succeeded in being reassessed as suitable for a grammar school. Are all Head Teachers obliged to treat students 'fairly' regardless of their own personal views as to whether they approve of the grammar system or not? Thank you for any comments.
anotherworriedmum

Re: Head Teacher Appeals

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi Bob

Sorry to hear about your situation. The problem with a HT appeal is that you don't know if it would have been successful, it all depends on the quality of the information that it is sent. I am not sure if you can do demand that the HT does a late HT appeal, I have a feeling that the deadline for HT appeals has passed.

However, I don't think it matters if you have a HT appeal or not, you still have the right to an appeal yourself and perhaps focusing your energy on that would be best. I know of children with successful appeals who have not had a HT appeal and visa versa. There is loads of information on this site about doing an appeal http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you need to wait until after 1st March and then you can appeal for your chosen school on the grounds of both non-qualification and over-subscription.

Good luck

AWM
bobthecat

Post by bobthecat »

Hi AWM

Thank you for your comments and of course everything you say is right, and yes the HT appeals date is long gone. My worry about the later appeals is that all the places will have gone by the time the appeals come round even though I know we have a good case to appeal and our head is now being supportive. If I were able to get her reassessed as grammar material now, then as an out of catchment child, she will be in the appeals system sooner. Do many children get allocated places at grammars based on non-qualification? Thanks again for your comments.
Bexleymum101

Post by Bexleymum101 »

I know that our school submitted 8 HT reviews last year. All successful. Parents never knew.

The teachers ensure that during the last 6 months before the tests the children do plenty of tests and assessments partly to prepare but also to gather the right quality of evidence for successful HT reviews.

They will not submit a review if the evidence does not stack up though.

I'd suggest seeing what evidence you can gather from the school to support your case that the maths result was an anomoly. At just 1 point under, you could stand a good chance. A Head Teacher letter to support your appeal would also help. I don't think HT's are legally obliged to submit a review but would certainly be morally obliged if the child's actual score was not represented by their ability and performance at school.

Good luck!
mystery

Post by mystery »

The system sucks as it so much depends on your head how much luck you have.

Hopefully you will get a place on appeal anyhow. If you live close to the border I bet you will get a place at Weald of Kent. They soaked up loads of people last year and are still, I think, putting on an extra class this year . It's just a shame you will have to wait so long now to get certainty.

Between now and the appeal you need to make sure your child does as brilliantly as possible at school so that her current perfomance looks fabulous by the time your appeal is heard. Don't miss a trick!
bobthecat

Post by bobthecat »

Thanks all so much for comments - it's the first time I've ever joined a forum and everyone is so helpful and friendly! You're right there - luck depends so much on other people, and I think our HT was motivated by own personal views i.e. anti the grammar system. I had no idea the 11+ would be quite so stressful. Ah well. Will prepare robust appeal and try and forget about it for now. I have contacted Kent Advice but he won't help as we're out of his catchment (story of my life!) - anyone know anyone who can help with appeals?? Thanks!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, Etienne in the appeals forum. Brilliant.

You've lots of time. Really focus on wonderful school work this year. It will help all round.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi

Yes Etienne will help you in the appeals forum but make sure you read all this first http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are lots of parents posting this time of year so its best to get a good grasp of that before asking any specific questions.

We had a successful appeal, after an unsuccesful HT appeal, so I do share your pain and angst

Good luck!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi BobtheCat

Previous posts are right in that the whole ht review process is deeply flawed. It depends on your ht's views about selective education and crucially if they do put your dc forward for review it really will depend on what details they choose to give. It is a shame that your dc's result was not put forward for review but it's probably better to move on from that and see if your ht (and, if permitted ,the class teacher) is prepared to support a parental appeal because their support will be really helpful in your appeal next Spring. There is lots of free advice and help on the appeals forum....

Good Luck !
Tigger
mystery

Post by mystery »

Also, it might be better that she didn't. If she had done so but made a bad job of it and not got you through out, it could perhaps have made an independent appeal harder. Who knows.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now