Boys schools with no distance criteria - cut offs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hedwig

Boys schools with no distance criteria - cut offs

Post by Hedwig »

I have just received DS's score breakdown and I'm unsure where he may be able to consider. (possibly nowhere!)

We are currently OOC so can only consider those schools with no distance criteria. Am I right in thinking this leaves Judd, Skinners and Dartford boys.

Can anyone indicate cut-off scores for these schools or where I might find them. He did not get full marks across the board but was close.

It would give me an idea of possibilities.
Myrtle

Re: Boys schools with no distance criteria - cut offs

Post by Myrtle »

Hi HT at Judd said 418 was cut off in 2012. Think I've seen on here Skinners was 410. Although I believe the test was much harder this year i.e at yardley court in 2012 22 got full marks, this year just one. So you may find that in the end the cut off possibly may be
lower... Best wishes
westkent

Post by westkent »

Myrtle - that is interesting about Yardley Court results. Certainly many dead cert pupils have come out with less that anticipated. But on the other hand I am also reading about pupils that have done a great deal better than expected.

Do people think it was a harder paper or was in marked differently? Have they marked the older children particularly fiercely?

Certainly on a couple of other threads it is clear that many people are perplexed by the relationship between raw scores and standardised scores.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

westkent wrote: ...

Have they marked the older children particularly fiercely?

Children born in the same month are standardised against each other so 'statistically' the same number from each month should pass/fail/get top marks etcetera.

There is often talk of 'advantage' given to younger children but it's simply not the case when talking about standardised scores. There should be the same number of top marks in each month. I suppose if we were to be pedantic you could argue that children born at the start of each month have an advantage.

DaddyOh
westkent

Post by westkent »

Thanks DaddyOh.

I understand that this is usually the case but my question was really does anyone think that the system of marking had changed this year. Only speculation as know one can know.

For instance

June 77% = 141
Dec 80% = 138

That differential is larger than previous years. Wondered why.

Unless there were just some extremely high marks in certain month groups and not others.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

In previous years it has been around 2-3 marks for the raw scores across the year so that equates to about 2-4% depending on paper etcetera.

Not certain where those numbers you mention have come from but I'd be dubious of them since it's impossible to get 77% on any of the papers (unless you use the rather uncommon round down from a half convention for 62/72 in the NVR or unless they sneakily changed the number of questions in the papers but I'd have thought we'd have heard if that had happened).

DaddyOH
Billie

Post by Billie »

Interested in what you said Daddyoh....I can see it working for pass/fail, but not convinced about at the top end. I know in recent years boys born after March were a rarity at Judd.
Hardworkingmum

Post by Hardworkingmum »

Hedwig wrote:I have just received DS's score breakdown and I'm unsure where he may be able to consider. (possibly nowhere!)

We are currently OOC so can only consider those schools with no distance criteria. Am I right in thinking this leaves Judd, Skinners and Dartford boys.

Can anyone indicate cut-off scores for these schools or where I might find them. He did not get full marks across the board but was close.

It would give me an idea of possibilities.
DG boys: 2012 the lowest mark went to 418, @4.95 miles from Greenwich borough. The info was sent to me by email from Kent admissions - they use straight line measuring distance ;-)
Hardworkingmum

Post by Hardworkingmum »

Also still 10% would have got 423 full marks- nothing changed with that. 420-422 probably 3% of the kids passed so if maths is done on the data, 13 % would have got 420-423.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

Billie wrote:Interested in what you said Daddyoh....I can see it working for pass/fail, but not convinced about at the top end. I know in recent years boys born after March were a rarity at Judd.

Do you have a link to those statistics?

DaddyOh
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now