Cunning plan for a Weald of Kent grammar annex in 7oaks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: Cunning plan for a Weald of Kent grammar annex in 7oaks?

Post by doodles »

A little harsh Bristols if you don't mind me saying so.

JJ123 was only expressing her (?) opinion, which as she is a current WOKGS yr7 parent, I think is interesting and valid to the discussion. Do you have girls at WOK Bristols?
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Thank you doodles .... I live in Sevenoaks and have a DS too, i am all too familiar with the number of school places available and the stress it causes. Although in recent years i thought the situation had actually improved ?

I just don't see why any existing school has to be effected at all. Not just Weald. We are not being told its good for Weald or our daughters just that co-ed is the only way to get a new grammar in Sevenoaks. Well in my book thats not fair and frankly my priority is gong to be for my DD and her school.

It would mean that there is no longer an all girl grammar option (thats not super selective) in the area for future girls .... everyone i know at Weald is unhappy and objecting, whether that makes a blind bit of difference .......

Shame they cant just open a Boys Weald in Sevenoaks,and girls in Tonbridge ... everyone happy then surely
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am not sure that everyone would be happy with that either. If Weald goes co-ed and doubles in size it would still mean approx 6 extra forms of grammar boys in the West Kent area. It has to have some kind of knock-on effect in other schools. If the other grammars retain their extra classes (which as I understand it they are perfectly entitled to do as they do not represent large expansions) a further 6 classes of boys might be problematic in some way. Kent CC needs to produce some good data and projections based on various scenarios instead of promoting all these you, you, you, me, me, me types of argument that people like Bristols enjoy.

I still don't think the practicalities of one school, one admission policy over two sites so many miles apart would work. If it's truly one school (as required for the expansion to be permitted) it surely couldn't be possible to keep the school full and give everyone the site they wanted for their child over their entire school life.

Why should we believe any more this time than last time that it's a great plan that will work? And how come Weald are now the good guys when they were viewed with such disapprobation when they put in a rival proposal to Invicta's last time? That was ironic because, of the two schools, the closer one was more likely to pass the "one school" test. What happened to the legal opinion that KCC said they had paid for last time around?

Oh, and where has our tennis academy gone? I didn't notice it on the plans.
mystery

Post by mystery »

JJ123 wrote:Yes this is sadly true. I am a Weald year 7 Mum and feel pretty darn let down on this. We chose WOKGs over TOGs(where we also had a place) for many reasons and are incredibly pleased with every aspect of the school.
Until this. Had we known it might go co-ed we never would have chosen it. We put our trust in Weald and feel very let down.

Our letter of consultation merely stated the arguments (increase in population etc.) requiring another grammar - and the only way to get around the legislation is to make Weald co-ed. The governors are not suggesting that WOKGS will benefit from being co - ed, as we all know it wont. I cant really believe that a girls school since 1947 should be changed to accommodate the creation of another school.

All year 7 parents i know will be objecting but i fear apathy further up the school will not help us. does anyone know if we have any rights on this.

I have a younger girl who i'd hoped (subject to test) would join her sister but i would not knowingly send her to a co-ed. So chances are she will not now join her sister. If it happens there will no longer be an all girls grammar in the area ( TOGS being SSlective) surely thats not fair :(

Why cant they keep girls at Tunbridge and boys at Sevenoaks under the wokgs umbrella ??

Any advise on this forum very much appreciated ...... i really hope this nightmare just goes away !
If the admissions policy does change can you take it to the Schools' Adjudicator maybe if there are reasons why it is not resulting in fair access in some way or producing a beneficial change in education at the school? Just guessing. Ask Etienne perhaps?
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Thanks mystery ... I agree none of it makes logical sense. The maths doesnt work

"Etienne" ?
kent mum
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

There just isn't going to be an easy answer that pleases everyone. Certainly there is still a lack of grammar places for the boys this year, even with Judd & Skinners accepting an extra class each. That really surprised me, but I know of quite a number of boys without a grammar place in Sevenoaks again. It may yet work out on the waiting lists, but as the number of children in year six increases (as it will given the increased primary numbers), this is a problem that will get worse.
I think the extra forms would fill; there are children from Borough Green area who currently look at Maidstone schools who may decide to come into Sevenoaks, and the villages of Eynsford/ Shoreham always struggle with grammar places.
Co-ed can work well. Colyton grammar is co-ed and does exceedingly well; and schools like Bennett/ St Gregs do well co-ed with fantastic results for non selective schools. I would not be put off Co-ed for my DS or DD.
However, I see that parents chose WOK on the basis it was single sex. At the consultation with Invicta, they talked about separating boys & girls for some subjects such as science. Maybe there is some scope for discussion to find a path people are happier with?
All in all though, I cannot see a Grammar annexe in Sevenoaks for 2015!
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

It looks like Sevenoaks Grammar Campaign have removed their previous uncomplimentary remarks on the WOK proposal from their website. They now have a photo of a couple of cuddly rabbits appearing out of top hats.....are they trying to soften their image or do they now think that this is a magical proposal?
mystery

Post by mystery »

No it couldn't be for quite a long time one would have thought as Weald main site would have to first go co-ed and then show they had a demand from Sevenoaks pupils as now?

I would like co-ed too. I'm not sure what difference it would make to children who have already chosen it - their years would not go co-ed.

I just am not clear how the numbers could work or the logistics of it truly being "one school". Why don't they explain more rather than less if they've got a good plan?
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Weald parents have been told first proposed intake for Sevenoaks Grammar to be 2016.

The top 10 Kent grammars are single sex, co - ed is a very personal for some its right, others its not.

For us we carefully chose Weald for our DD and we didnt want co-ed. To be advised less than two terms after she started its going co - ed seems pretty unfair. No letter from the head either or consultation evenings. my DS is at Judd and i dont think it would have been handled so poorly there ( ive got to say though everything else at Weald has ben pretty damn perfect)

I am all for a new school in Sevenoaks but it should be established without impact on the others surely.
kent mum
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

JJ123, what actually is your concern about it being co-ed?
I know you are frustrated but you are saying its 'unfair'.
I met with some ex primary friends today - 3 of them have daughters at Weald in year 7, all had no problem with the possible change. I don't think the decision will be as unpopular as you suggest.
Weald is a good school who are not going to want anything stop their good reputation or good results. Clearly no final decision will be made until its clear it will be beneficial.
TM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now