Weald of Kent Grammar proposing to go co-ed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bristols

Re: WEALD OF KENT GRAMMAR PROPOSING TO GO CO - ED

Post by bristols »

Yet you don't want to send your own children to Trinity. You want to send them to a grammar school. Sounds like a lot of politicians to me: "Do as I say, not as I do."
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

bristols wrote:Yet you don't want to send your own children to Trinity. You want to send them to a grammar school. Sounds like a lot of politicians to me: "Do as I say, not as I do."

Because i wanted an all girls school ( :lol: thats my whole point)

But if you want co-ed Trinity is ready to expand and is offering a great standard of education.

You haven't commented on my point that only 4 children from Sevenoaks didn't get a grammar place in 2013 ?? So we urgently need a Grammar in sevenoaks because ??

Personally i'd prefer my taxes going towards better hospital facilities in Sevenoaks ( now am going off track) .....
kent mum
bristols

Post by bristols »

I have no idea how many children didn't get a grammar place this year and I don't know if your figure of four is accurate or not, although I suspect not.

What I do know is that Judd and Skinners (and possibly TOGS) put on an extra class each this year to temporarily alleviate the problem but that is not a permanent solution.

I couldn't care less whether my kids go to a single sex or a co-ed school. What I do care about is that all kids who pass the 11+ in Kent are given a grammar school place. I would certainly not be happy with a place at Trinity which is most definitely not a grammar school.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

bristols wrote:I have no idea how many children didn't get a grammar place this year and I don't know if your figure of four is accurate or not, although I suspect not.

What I do know is that Judd and Skinners (and possibly TOGS) put on an extra class each this year to temporarily alleviate the problem but that is not a permanent solution.

I couldn't care less whether my kids go to a single sex or a co-ed school. What I do care about is that all kids who pass the 11+ in Kent are given a grammar school place. I would certainly not be happy with a place at Trinity which is most definitely not a grammar school.
Well as "we" dont know for sure assuming my figure of 4 is correct surely a whole new school for 4 children cannot be justified ?

Additional classes at those 3 schools are dealt with each year but my understanding is they will continue for the forseable future as those schools can and are handling and they dont want a new grammar in sevenoaks to take "their children".

Assuming such i cannot see ( and nobody has been able to give me ) figures to support the pupil need and therefore cost of a new grammar school at this moment in time.
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bristols' arguments are always along the lines of "it has to be a grammar school and it has to be in Sevenoaks Town" ..... no discussion is possible. Bit like the woman who nearly bit off my head at the hotel in Dunton Green where the plans were displayed last Autumn when I asked what would happen if the grammar annex proposal last Autumn was not approved by the DfE. I was pretty much told that I was daft thinking that might be a possibility as why would KCC have put forward a proposal that would not succeed? Unpleasant person or hopelessly optimistic I thought. Hopefully the latter.

There is no discussion possible with Bristols. No doubt I will get a belittling response back from Bristols. I think as I have said before I hope Bristols is nothing to do with the governance of the potential future mega-grammar or the Council as I don't want the lack of logic he /she displays to have any influence on any of my children's education!

The Weald rapid consultation exercise ends soon. Parents at my Sevenoaks District primary school were not consulted. The letter was purely to Weald parents higher up the school. It was a lame consultation exercise. I don't know whether this was intentional or not.

Anyone heard about the planning decision today? Or was that just an estimate date on the online planning site?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bristols - just testing - I live in Sevenoaks District. It is unlikely I could send my children (if they were all girls and needed grammar places) to any of the girls' grammar schools you mention because:

- superselective marks are needed for TOGS
- TWGSS fills up with much closer girls
- Maidstone and Newstead Wood are the other side of the planet

But I don't mind co-ed and I wouldn't mind Trinity (but probably too far from that too) .... so Weald doubling in size and going co-ed will not help girls from here as it not likely result in extra girls' places and children or teachers floating between the two sites which are so far apart does not enthuse me. How does your plan work for Sevenaoks district girls who do not live in Sevenoaks Town?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't worry Mystery I am not sure that Bristols even lives in the area as her (?)knowledge of the girls' grammar options is very sketchy!

My worry has always been for the children who live even further out than Sevenoaks ie Westerham, Edenbridge, Knockholt etc unless they qualify for superselective they must struggle for gs places.

Oh what a mess is being created!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

LOL! I hope that's correct. I suspect however that being such a fan of Sevenoaks Town results in a lack of knowledge of the geography of West Kent and bordering areas perhaps ? Don't know. Just wondering.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Admittedly there are those who genuinely believe Sevenoaks to be the centre of the universe :wink: :wink:
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Feisty Mystery :P i like it !

I do live in Sevenoaks and i do have a DD at Weald so think i am justified in having an opinion on this.

Very happy that others will have a different view to me on whether we need a new Grammar and/or weald going co-ed but the maths doesn't stack up. I fear for a good few years the school would be half empty or full of children from miles and miles away. Is that really good sense ?

It seems strange that the Sevenoaks grammar lobbyists by their attitude alienate the very people who would be supporting them and I signed their petition a few years ago.....

Will be interesting if Gove's new "anti Etonian" views hinder any such grammar bid full stop.

Cut off date for Wealds consultation is fri so maybe things will become clearer soon
Last edited by JJ123 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kent mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now