Weald of Kent Grammar proposing to go co-ed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JJ123

Re: Weald of Kent Grammar proposing to go co-ed

Post by JJ123 »

Agreed, am shocked how unscientific this process seems to be and how haphazard the consultation is. Let's face it older girls parents will be apathetic as it wont effect them. Consultation should have been wider and verbal meetings should have been conducted.
kent mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

mystery wrote:That's true, but I suppose it is not quite the point that Bristols is making.
Possibly Mystery, but if I'm going to be put down by somebody and told that I don't understand a situation I want that person to have their facts right! Enough said, let's move on.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bristols always provides a pleasant diversion.
woollywomble

Post by woollywomble »

Does anyone know if parents of girls due to start at Weald in Sep have been consulted about the proposal or is it just existing parents? I'm with JJ123 on this issue - I would be rather miffed if I had chosen an all girls school for my daughter to be told after the allocation process that actually this might change. I would be concerned, not just at losing a single-sex education, but at the potential upheaval and disruption that these changes would entail.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Thank you for understanding .....

Not to my knowledge, i do hope so, i'll try and find out.

Apparently the headmistress will spend 2/3 days in each. Its not great at all. Stupid government. Stupid rules. If a new school is justified just build it in its own right and leave the existing ones alone.

Such a mess.
kent mum
Homer Gain

Post by Homer Gain »

Fascinating to see that the Sevenoaks fundamentalists continuing to use misrepresentation and abuse as their primary tools, despite all the evidence that neither works very well, As noted by several commentators here (WOK parents who might be expected to know) most WOK parents I have spoken to are opposed to the Co-ed idea. Indeed, WOK need to explain to their current cadre of parents why they maintain this obessession with expansion as opposed to a focus on excellence. For the Sevenoaks brigade, I suggest you consider doing what most people do if the Grammar option is so important to you - move.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

I fear that WOK will explain nothing to the parents but will proceed as KCC are clearly telling them to. The consultation feels like a "going through the motions" excercise.. i hope i'm wrong.

According to DD the polling box is full, i'm pleased that parents have spoken irrespective of how.
kent mum
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

woollywomble wrote:Does anyone know if parents of girls due to start at Weald in Sep have been consulted about the proposal or is it just existing parents? I'm with JJ123 on this issue - I would be rather miffed if I had chosen an all girls school for my daughter to be told after the allocation process that actually this might change. I would be concerned, not just at losing a single-sex education, but at the potential upheaval and disruption that these changes would entail.

It would seem new WOK starters (sept 2014) have not been consulted on going co-ed.

More important to consult with them than years 10+ who surely wont be effected so much ?

Poor poor consultation from WOK, whether pro/against this is a major proposed change to the school :?
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

It is two major changes - doubling in size and going co-ed. One could even argue that it is three major changes as it's not a doubling on the same site but learning to run a school from two sites several miles apart.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

mystery wrote:It is two major changes - doubling in size and going co-ed. One could even argue that it is three major changes as it's not a doubling on the same site but learning to run a school from two sites several miles apart.
You are right. Am speechless, and that is rare.

Either this is only a very initial consultation, dip toe in the water kinda thing. Or the powers that be are so arrogant they believe they can do whatever they want irrespective of anything else. Why have new parents not been consulted, they have a vested interest more than most arguably.

Bonkers
kent mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now