MGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest111

Post by guest111 »

To Madwoman,

We live close to West Malling and my son secured a place at MGS this year. He hated Oakwood when he looked round it and didn't even put this down as second choice. Lucky for him, he secured a place. He loves it and really likes the tradition.
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

guest111, you probably live close to me! I'm also near West Malling.
I wonder if our sons know each other!
In answer to Madwoman- the main reason we put MGS over Oakwood, is that my son loved it the moment he arrived for the open evening. On the way home, he said- "I know what I want as my three choices- MGS, MGS and MGS!"
I had a feeling of it being 'right' for him as we listened to the talk.
It's more of a 'traditional' school, which suits my son down to the ground. He, too, likes to know the boundaries and where everyone stands.
We were very impressed with the Headteacher's philosophies, too.
There are also little details- like the attitude of the boys who gave us a guided tour. I'm sure that some of them can be right whatsits at times- but when it counted, they were polite, well mannered and confident. It was the only school where the 'guide' didn't moan about the school, or abandon us half way.
The MGS evening was before Oakwood last year- and for our son, it had a tough act to follow. He really didn't like it. In the end, although we put it second place, he said (after the form went in! :roll: ) that if he passed and didn't get MGS, he'd rather go to his non- grammar choice than Oakwood. The whole feel was different.
Having said that, a close friend of my son's put Oakwood first. His parents felt that MGS was too formal for him- and that Oakwood would handle a "Wobbly" boy better (his Mum's words).
It's whatever suits the individual, really.
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!
Oakwood Mum!!

Post by Oakwood Mum!! »

I believe Oakwood Park has an 'IT' status, or something (I am sure someone can correct me on that)
Yes its a Maths and Computing College.
My son joined in September this year and absolutely loves it!

The extra curriculum activites are fantastic! He seems to be joining a new club everyday!
And the football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the football, my son eats, drinks and sleeps football!

As you say academically theres nothing between them, its what ever the 'extras' your son is after that makes the difference. Whether that be sports, clubs, languages or even a just a 'feeling'
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

Absolutely! My son can't imagine a better school than MGS- but that's because it suits his personality right down to the ground. Oakwood really was the better option for his friend, who I don't think would have enjoyed the more formal atmosphere of MGS. It's so important to go and visit. What's important is that the school is the one you know your son would be happy at. Cliched but true!
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!
MGSMUM1

Post by MGSMUM1 »

I would definitely agree with the general opinion on this thread - ie, trust your son's judgement, and take his lead. The Ofsted reports and league tables say pretty much the same thing - ie, they are both excellent schools.

Having said that, it's difficult not to bring your own judgement to bear - fortunately for us, it was easy, as both my husband and I thought MGS the better option for our son, so it was a unanimous decision!

A friend of mine, who has (twin) boys in the lower 6th form at MGS, had that difficulty. She actually preferred Oakwood to MGS - her boys were the youngest in the year, and still had a very 'young outlook' when they were at secondary transfer age. She felt that Oakwood had a friendlier and less 'austere' (not really the right word, as MGS is far from austere - but just in terms of making a comparison) environment than MGS. She was concerned that they would not cope at MGS, and that they would buckle under the perceived pressure.

Her boys though, wanted to go to MGS, and against her judgement, that's where they went. They have just achieved 9 AS levels at grade A between them, and have flourished into fantastic young men. She now agrees, with the lovely benefit of hindsight, that MGS has proven to be the right school for them. That's not to say they would not have achieved just as much as Oakwood - who knows!

So, from my own experience, and others - I really would trust your son's judgment and thoughts, and try to take his wishes into account (as long as they are made on a sensible basis!)
madwoman

Post by madwoman »

Thank you all so much for your replies. We all prefered MGS having looked last year but its interesting to hear other peoples opinions especially from those with children currently at the schools. We will look again during the day before we make up our minds but our main worry is if he passes he won't be offered either school because of oversubscription and the distance we live from the school but there's not much we can do but hope I suppose. Thanks again.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The MGS admissions criteria controversy has been the lead item on Radio Kent news all morning. It will also be on BBC South East this lunch time and this evening.
madwoman

Post by madwoman »

As a matter of interest does anyone know of a child passing the 11+ and not being awarded a grammar school place even after appeal?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes
guest00

Post by guest00 »

Can you please clarify. As I know of cases where the parents only put one highly selective grammar on the CAF, and no other schools, and as the child did not get enough marks, for the highly selective grammar, they were not offered a place. (i can't swear that they passed the 11+ though, but I can see how it would happen in a case like this)

But it seems very unfair for a child to not be offered a place at any
when they have passed, and children who have not passed to get in on appeal.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now