Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Post by mystery »

I am just as much in the dark as you. I am pretty sure it will not be set by GL as I don't think it ever was and the contract documentation that was on the Kent business portal last year did not contain a request for the bidders to set a writing task. I don't suppose there's any reason why Kent couldn't get permission from GL to include a question which said "continue the comprehension passage". I suspect they wouldn't do this though as this involves the comprehension passage being visible to children for much longer and gives late sitters an advantage as some children could probably quote it pretty much verbatim after several readings which the extra exposure time would permit.
mystery

Post by mystery »

parent2013 wrote:Kent 2013 test: 1 hr duration
Last one in the block i.e. child is most mentally tired to do it
Choice of 5 topice to write from
No guidance on length To be used only in the event of appeal

My personal recommendation was 2 pages with due thought on planning. Moreover, our target was 423 leaving no scope for appeal/OOC/any hidden condition.

Kent 2014:
If it is for 30 mins
IMHO that would equate to 1 to 1.5 pages max incl 2-3 min planning
Topics aren't hard but it is all about how good can you write considering it may be used in appeal process
What were the topics parent2013? Were they all stories or not?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Ah yes. Everything you say makes sense, Mystery. I hadn't realised GL had nothing to do with the writing section of the test in previous years.

Parent2013, any info you can give on the writing topics would be great. Were they all stories, or story, letter, advert ... err ... trying desperately to remember all the different writing types they learn!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

There seem to be a million genres. My child seems to be able to turn them all into the same story about a ghost and some food with living qualities.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I really wouldn't worry too much about this FB. I took the view that my children did all sorts of writing tasks at their state school and that there was no need to practice. The only thing I checked was whether they knew how to lay out a letter in case that came up. I do not recall that any of them said that a letter was asked for. I think that all of my children have just had a series of story titles to pick from but I have no recollection of what they were. I think it is much more important to concentrate on the other aspects of the Kent Test ( I appreciate that you are all a bit in the dark at the moment but a mixture of Maths, VR and NVR would do no harm) with a view to avoiding an appeal when the writing task might be considered.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I'm sure you're right, Twinkle. I guess, in my anxiety, I'm just trying to cover all bases!

That said, I've not been overwhelmed by the quality of written work done by DS, so I'm fairly sure he could do with a boost/ practice in this area; particularly when he'll have to do a LOT more written work at secondary level.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I too have never been overwhelmed by the quality of my DS's written work but he has still managed to get into a SS GS for September. I agree it is a worry that there is a lot more written work at Secondary school but during Year 6 ( after sitting the Kent test) there is lots of time to work on writing quality.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

You have said EXACTLY the right thing at exactly the right time, Twinkle :wink: :D
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

:)
themadcatlady

Post by themadcatlady »

Sound words of advice Twinkle, for all of us who are getting in a bit of a panic. I too was thinking along the same lines as you FB and was concerned about how to cover everything. Trying to stay calm but not succeeding this week! And breathe :)