Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum24

Re: Shorter creative writing task for 2014

Post by mum24 »

parent2013 - the written exercise did not have to be taken last in September 2013. My son (out of area at the time) sat all four papers on one day with the written paper being first. I queried this with KCC who said that the order of the papers is up to the individual test centre...
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Out of interest, Mum24, which test centre did you sit at?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mum24

Post by mum24 »

It was Ashford fatbananas. It meant he ended up sitting NVR 1-2pm when exhausted and not having eaten any lunch (he had lots of snacks with him, but said he was only allowed to eat in the second break - the only other candidate I have contact with agreed that this was correct).
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That's ridiculous! For a part of the exam that is usually not even considered, it seems at best thoughtless that the writing part came first!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Sorry to bring this up again, should be in bed, but brain in overdrive ...

I just reread this thread and no-one mentions so-called non-fiction writing coming up, by which I mean letters, diary entries, reports etc. I realise these are general creative writing tasks, but has anything ever come up that isn't a story title. Does anyone know? :)
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I have had three children take the test in the last few years and I don't recall any of them mentioning a requirement to do a piece of writing in such a format. That said I guess a child could respond to a story title in a number of different writing styles if they chose to . For my own part I always checked the night before the test (!) that my children knew how to lay out a letter just in case they were asked to write one.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe we should ask? It is called a "writing exercise" on the kcc website.

The kcc website sets an order. It is English, maths, verbal, non-verbal, then the writing exercise.

It does not say how long any breaks should or can be, availability of food etc.

If a test is standardised, the conditions should be as far as possible.

Best thing is to ask I suppose. They must have written the instructions for schools by now.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:Maybe we should ask? It is called a "writing exercise" on the kcc website.

The kcc website sets an order. It is English, maths, verbal, non-verbal, then the writing exercise.

It does not say how long any breaks should or can be, availability of food etc.

If a test is standardised, the conditions should be as far as possible.

Best thing is to ask I suppose. They must have written the instructions for schools by now.
If they've written the instructions for schools, they must've written the familiarisation materials, but there's no sign of 'em! I'll do as you suggest, write to Kcc and see what response I get.

I think I'm going to have to get DS to practice writing stories, but it will be a teeth-pulling experience :roll:

Thanks for responding Twinkle and Mystery. :)
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Last year they gave writing from a choice of topics and none of them were straight-forward. :(

The writing exercise was last one at Tunbridge Wells centre.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

parent2013 wrote:Last year they gave writing from a choice of topics and none of them were straight-forward. :(

The writing exercise was last one at Tunbridge Wells centre.
By topics, do you mean something other than stories, like letters, diary entries etc., Parent2013?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now