Applying for schools due to relocation... Where do I start?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rilokat

Applying for schools due to relocation... Where do I start?

Post by rilokat »

Hi!

I'm looking to try and get some advice regarding schools in the tunbridge wells/tonbridge area.
We are looking for a house in that area and we have moved from the northwest where my daughter is currently in year 9 so she's more than likely going to be starting a new school for year 10 which is really quite daunting for her. I am really worried and conscious of the fact we are in May and all the places for schools have more than likely been allocated!
I don't know where to start! My daughter is really involved in drama at school and she is part of a drama/stage group in our previous hometown. She is at her happiest putting on shows, going to auditions and workshops etc.. She spends hours on the internet looking at colleges and performing art schools and studying where all the famous actors started out.
My daughter has been looking at Hillview in Tonbridge but how do we stand a chance of getting her in anywhere when we are nearly at the end of the school year and I haven't even got her on any wait lists or filled out any applications?
I am currently staying with relatives in kent and house hunting so my daughter is still at her school and staying with my parents whilst I try to get everything sorted out but we have never been apart this long and it's very difficult not having security of schools, a home, a job etc but at the same time after suffering from domestic violence for so long I have had no choice but to move as far away as possible and "attempt" to start a new life but at the same time I'm trying to make this transition as easy as possible for my girls. I know how upsetting it will be for my daughter to leave her friends but I'm hoping that she will settle in somewhere straightaway and her outgoing personality will help her. I think if she can focus on what she enjoys and excels in with the performing arts she would be happy and she is already quite excited about new opportunities but at the moment I have no idea how I go about anything.
If anyone can give me any advice on the above and how I apply for schools so late in the year I really would be appreciate it.
Thanks in advance :)
twellsmum

Re: Applying for schools due to relocation... Where do I sta

Post by twellsmum »

I think your best bet would be to speak to KCC. Although most of us on here have children at secondary schools, they are of course already there and in most cases have been there since the start of Y7 so there are not many people who know about in year entry. I know for the grammar schools you would have to sit some tests to prove academic capability. My daughter is in Y9 at TWGGS (Tunbridge Wells Girls' Grammar) and they have just had a new girl join the year so it is done (but of course there needs to be a space and often that isn't the case with the grammars especially this side of the county).

If you want to go for a wide ability school I think it is more straightforward, if they have a space you can have it. I haven't had a situation with in year transfer as have lived round here all my life but when my son failed the 11+ last year, I found the KCC admissions team to be really lovely and helpful. HTH and hope you get things sorted.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I dare say you've looked at this, but at the bottom of the page is a link to where you have to live before you can be offered a place at the school. It's worth getting as many criteria under your belt as you can. A reference/ other evidence of performing arts from your DD's current school/ clubs, I'm sure would help. Of course, I'm sure there are drama clubs etc around in Tonbridge which your daughter could join, if she is not able to get into Hillview, and then try again in 6th Form. Very best of luck! :D

http://www.hillview.kent.sch.uk/page/?t ... ions&pid=9
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

I have many friend with daughters at Hillview who are extremely happy. obviously once you have phoned KCC or even the school to establish if there are places (likely, due to families like you regularly relocation) you need to take your daughter to look round.
I know their pastoral care is excellent too and they would certainly look after your DS.
Cant harm ringing them direct to see what they say their procedure is? Good luck.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Different authorities manage their in year admissions differently. However, if you look at http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-ch ... ent-school you will see that you have to fill out a form and send it to any school you're interested in. Your situation is complicated by not having a permanent address yet, so I would ask KCC for advice about that.

It says on the form that "If you have approached schools and are having trouble finding a place you can contact the Admissions Team on the number below, and we will let you know where there are currently places available." so actually that is probably a sensible place to start :)

Good luck, sounds like you've had a tough time and I hope you can settle down again soon.
rilokat

Post by rilokat »

Thankyou to you all for your replies and info etc... I'm going to crack on with these links and get on the phone with KCC tomorrow :)
Thankyou!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now