How's everyone finding the English part?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MJMoore

How's everyone finding the English part?

Post by MJMoore »

I've been through this process a few years ago, but English wasn't included then, so it's new for us. When Kent confirmed the new test, I started to look at the GL Assessment English practice papers. My daughter didn't do very well, and it's really disheartened her. I have to say though, that even my husband and I found some of it quite difficult.

I wondered how everyone was finding it, and what practice papers you're using? Does anyone have any tips for comprehension?

Thanks,
Michelle
scarlett

Re: How's everyone finding the English part?

Post by scarlett »

I would be quite relaxed if my dd was taking the old test, having had two older ones pass it , who, like my dd were better at maths and nvr . My dd has probably done 4 of those GL English papers and has scored between 52 and 70 % . Sometimes its the comprehension , although she seems to be a bit better ,but I've now noticed its the spelling and grammar sections . She doesn't read the whole lot, so is just looking at each individual sentence and then doesn't seem to notice mistakes at the beginning or end. She doesn't like doing them either.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

DS has done 3 of the GL papers. The first one was the nastiest; was that the one your DD did? In which case, don't be disheartened. I've been working on the bits those GL papers test.

I've also given him some CGP and FPP CEM papers, but he does v badly on those. I really hope synonyms and antonyms and cloze don't come up. The vocab on those papers seems quite hard and he doesn't always get the subtleties of the options available to choose from. Plus the amount to learn for those seems really daunting this close to the exam.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Don't you find that the comprehension questions in themselves are a vocab tester ? They will ask why he is despondent and the passage will discuss the person feeling a subtle version. The worst one was the 1700 passage across the sea. I just think she didn't like the story !
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yes, they are, Scarlett. I think he might do ok with those because he can infer some meaning of the word from the text. I think the CEM ones, are tougher because they are just seeing if you know the word out of context: sometimes he gets confused by the nuanced choice and sometimes he just doesn't know what the word means and can't guess it from the text.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

Has anyone seen any good multiple choice comprehensions, a bit easier than the GL? I know CEM is harder!