Familiarisation Booklet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UncleBob

Re: Familiarisation Booklet

Post by UncleBob »

Glad yo have printed off the paper from kcc. So now we have seen it. Any suggestions for test papers to use. I know there is nothing the same as it's new but closest too maybe??
salsa

Post by salsa »

Did anybody get anywhere with the Spatial Reasoning materials? I only seem to find papers for adults.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I found a book for adults but it looks easier than 11 plus questions so that's a bit odd.

I think Scarlett is probably right when she says you have to go through other non-GL nvr materials and pick out the 2d and 3d stuff.

In a way some of the existing question types already involve spatial reasoning in 2d so I'm not sure why they are wishing to highlight the fact there is something specifically spatial they are going to test.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks Mystery,
I believe Spatial Reasoning highlights those suitable for engineering. It is biased towards most boys! I surely hope my son does not take after me on Spatial Reasoning!
Billie

Post by Billie »

GL assessment provide a new style CAT test that also includes spatial reasoning. It is aimed at identifying those STEM (science technology and maths) skills. This is their info re the CAT4. Generally the CAT tests I think are slightly different to their 11+ tests (certainy verbal types I believe are different) but this might help give some insight into what they are planning. A girl I know who did it told me she found it easy because she was good at origami !

http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/sites/gl ... erview.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, interesting. I spotted that a few months back when GL won the tender and Kent were making it sound as though the test could include some novel types. I suppose it also explains why they gave the example that they did in the Kent familiarisation document. The embedded shape type question is already in the public domain in the link you have given so putting it in the familiarisation document is fairly "risk free".
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, I did find a few bits and bobs but it's hard to find anything specifically for children. It all seems to be for naval entrance tests etc. I need to re google because I can't find the website again but there was one which had those net like questions, ones which looked like a broken up rubic cube and quite a few of those shapes within a shape. Dd seemed ok with them , so I think really it's no different to the other nvr questions and as I can't do those or explain the answer I will just have to go with the flow with these ones !
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi
I just contacted GL Assessment and they told me that the Spatial Reasoning is not contained in their NVR materials and that they do not publish anything to prepare for Spatial Reasoning.

Initially, it was very difficult to obtain this "information" as all they were telling me was that Kent had told them that any parents calling them should be redirected to them! When I said that Kent would only tell us that the test should be tutor proof, etc, they agreed and finally told me they had nothing. I pointed out that there was material for all the other exams and why not have them for Spatial Reasoning, they agreed, but insisted they didn't have anything. I find this difficult to believe!

So, what is left? Get my son to start reading maps? Maybe he would be able to help me!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

From what I've seen , the spatial reasoning seems.to be the ability to look at a Shape and work out which way it needs to be rotated etc to match the one in the question. I think if you practice general nvr then your child should be ok . All the children will be in the same.boat . If my dd fails.her nvr then I take it all back !
salsa

Post by salsa »

GL said it was different and NOT contained in their NVR materials.