Best grammar school in kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedmum.com

Re: Best grammar school in kent

Post by confusedmum.com »

It would also be useful to have a think about where your daughter would go if you have move into an area (West Kent) which have schools that require a super selective score which unforuntately your DD does not reach on the day.

Many parents have Plan As, Plan Bs & Plan Cs - better safe than sorry. At one point this year - we were on Plan D!
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

We live between Maidstone and Tonbridge and when DD passed her 11+ we had a great choice of grammar schools to choose from, i.e. MGGS, Invicta, Tonbridge Grammar and Weald of Kent. All four schools are rated outstanding by Ofsted and it was really tricky to decide between them. DD decided that she preferred TOGS and she is nearing the end of Y7 and we are very happy with the school. This is a super selective so need to get a good score in the Kent Test, whereas the other schools mentioned just require a pass and then entry is determined according to distance.
deepti

Post by deepti »

Thank u so much for useful info dyths . I got to know more about kent n agree with u.

Definitely confusedmum. I shall have alternate plans too.

1. If she makes kent test, want to plan the preferences like

If we choose to live in Maidstone, invicta and MGGS are options
If we live around Tonbridge , choose among TOGS , Weald of kent n TWGGS

If she can't make in these superselectives, go for east kent . Folkestone or Dover would be great choice.

2. If she doesn't make in kent, planning for reading/ slough tests too . Fingers crossed they don't fall on same day.

3. If she doesn't make in any both of the tests, think of non grammar school. Hope not .

Thanks Daddylonglegs, I was also thinking the same options like u.

But Tonbridge n Maidstone are far, how did u manage a place in 4 of the top schools . Great.

Do u mind if I ask which primary school did she go to ? And what was her score?
How did she feel about English test which I think my daughter needs to pick up?

Correct me if am wrong.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Deepti, welcome to Kent!

Exciting times ahead but I would urge you to look at the admissions criteria for each individual school - it's weird here in Kent and schools vary. The superselective schools are score only but others (which in my opinion are every bit as good) will have distance/residency requirements. You also need a contingency plan should your dd have a blip on exam day. There's many here that can tell you that a pass doesn't always guarantee a gs place on national allocations day.

The schools are also all very different and you need to choose the one with the right "feel" for your dd.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound gloomy but moving may not have the guaranteed answer that you want.

Good luck.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

And if you decide to go for TWGGS, don't make the mistake many people new to the area make and make sure you live near enough to the school! Even people who live actually in TW town don't often get in on first allocation and if you live in the villages your daughter would almost be on teh waiting list/have to appeal. To be on the safe side you need to live within a mile and a half of the school.

Both my daughters (just finished GCSEs and just about to start GCSEs) have been very happy at TWGGS.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don't confused the 'best' school with the 'right' school.
I'm assuming you are currently in catchment for Kendrick in Reading.

I know nothing about Kent schools, but Kendrick have changed their timings over when you need to be in catchment this year, you need to be in catchment when you actually apply to take the test (June time).

Some other schools have something similar, so that you can't wait until you get the test results then move.

You'll need to check individual school criteria.