West Kent Independant Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Curious Mum

West Kent Independant Schools

Post by Curious Mum »

After deciding and going along the grammar route, our primary school has thrown a spanner in the works by suggesting we look at independants as there are lots that would want our dd and would give 100% scholarship. I can't find any!! Anyone got any ideas?
Also, looking at the league tables, not many of these schools around the TW/Tonbridge area, outperform the girls grammars anyway. Is there any advantage with an independant?

Post by Guest »

100% scholarships?? Could whoever suggested that tell you which schools they had in mind? The standard major scholarship seems to be 50% (although my daughter was offered slightly more by one West Kent school). Standard scholarships are about 20%. Many schools offer much less (eg Sevenoaks offer 10% I think). It is technically possible to combine various scholarships up to a higher total ( eg. academic, music and sport) but I have never actually heard of anyone getting up to 100%!

Some schools will offer bursaries to take the total to 100% in cases of financial need. However I am not aware of many girls' schools with the necessary endowments to be able to afford that. More common with wealthy boys' schools I think.

We went the grammar route in the end but I have no doubt that for some children the independent schools will offer opportunities which the grammars can't. Most West Kent independents take children of average ability and turn them out with A's and B's. The grammars take able children and send them out with the same results. Sevenoaks is an exception in that it is more academic than other private schools in the area and gets much better results than the local grammars. It also sends a much higher percentage of pupils to top Universities ( Eg Oxbridge and Ivy league).

If your daughter is very bright and confident a grammar should suit her. If she is likely to get "lost" in a year group of 150 +, and would benefit from being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, or if she would benefit from the better facilities etc in the private sector then that may be the better option.
Curious Mum

Post by Curious Mum »

Thanks - I will try and get some school names out of our headteacher.
It hadn't crossed our minds that the independants were an option because of the fees and 20 - 30 % scholarships won't change that. DD is capable of grammar and we were happy that we were heading in the right direction with the 11+. We just need to reassure ourselves that that is still the case and that we are not overlooking another possibility.
perplexed

independent schools in west kent

Post by perplexed »

I agree with you that I cannot see many independent schools in West Kent that have much advantage over the grammars. And there are some that pose a significant disadvantage if your child was capable of getting into a grammar.

Do you know why the headteacher is suggesting an independent school for your daughter? Could it be for some other reason than whatever reasons she has given you?

Has she said she will support your child in the Kent headteacher appeal which happens before the 11+ results are announced to parents if she is a marginal fail?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now