Pass marks for each subject

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Pass marks for each subject

Post by mystery »

Yes, it is tricky choosing and taking into account the children's views too. I just find that there isn't enough reliable information to go on when you look around any of these places - comprehensive, non-selective, grammars or independents.

All I'm saying is that it might be worth giving TWGSB a re-think if you need to. I know a whole "group" of boys that did extremely well there both at GCSE and A level in a quite recent year. They are ones who have been products of the current head from start to finish. Sure there will be a whole host of different tales to tell in the same year group too. This is what makes it so hard to discriminate. The results at Judd and Skinners are bound to be more homogeneous as they've creamed off the even more able / or maybe harder working children and parents!

I am feeling unenthusiastic about Weald - but for no reason that I can put my finger on as in lots of ways it sounds great - but if we're lucky to get a pass we don't really have another choice which is likely to be "better".

A fight on the first day! I suppose the acid test is if it became a recurrent event amongst the boys concerned or if it was dealt with well.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

My DS loves TWGSB and is really happy there :D

He is being stretched and doing really well. No complaints here only positives.

No mention from my DS about a fight so must have been a storm in a teacup :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Or it was your son? He started last year didn't he? Or maybe it was the OOC children. :wink:
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

My DS is really happy at TWGSB. His class are a really nice group of boys. I think it really is luck whether you get a nice class at any school, even grammar schools. This is what makes choosing so hard, as the school may have the best results and facilities, but the particular class you get is never guaranteed! My DS has had no trouble at all settling into TWGSB and is doing well. :D
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

Essex2Kent wrote: ........I heard from a lot of Mum's last year that there was fighting day 1 in y7!
Boys fighting :shock:

Seriously, put 160 11 year olds together with testosterone about to boil over, egos maxed out and reputations on the line.... its going to happen.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

Colmans wrote:
Essex2Kent wrote: ........I heard from a lot of Mum's last year that there was fighting day 1 in y7!
Boys fighting :shock:

Seriously, put 160 11 year olds together with testosterone about to boil over, egos maxed out and reputations on the line.... its going to happen.
Never heard it happen at other boys schools though.
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

Essex2Kent wrote: Never heard it happen at other boys schools though.
Trust me... boys fight.

Go and ask every man you know if he ever saw a fight between two boys when he was at school.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

Colmans wrote:
Essex2Kent wrote: Never heard it happen at other boys schools though.
Trust me... boys fight.

Go and ask every man you know if he ever saw a fight between two boys when he was at school.
That's not what I meant. The point is that a) it shouldn't happen in a classroom and b ) I'd expect that from Waterloo road not a grammar.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well, it was day 1 so not to do with the way the school had educated or disciplined the miscreants.. Unusual that children who don't generally know one another or the staff would be so daring on day 1. Did it happen again?

There is fighting at our baby little church primary which everyone chooses to avoid the riffraff elsewhere.

Maybe they were sevenoaks boys excessively fatigued after the very long journey and too much tutoring. :wink:
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:Well, it was day 1 so not to do with the way the school had educated or disciplined the miscreants.. Unusual that children who don't generally know one another or the staff would be so daring on day 1. Did it happen again?

There is fighting at our baby little church primary which everyone chooses to avoid the riffraff elsewhere.

Maybe they were sevenoaks boys excessively fatigued after the very long journey and too much tutoring. :wink:
Last edited by Villagedad on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.