Re: Judd with 404?

Post by klmh1968 »

Well I'm officially a Kent parent too!
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

relaxedMum77 wrote:
klmh1968 wrote:
Essex2Kent wrote:No one in county got full marks. Just goes to show there was an advantage taking it three days later. !! B

I actually find that comment really offensive, whether it was a joke or not it doesn't matter! How could children who sat the test 3 days later have an unfair advantage? do you really think that they managed to get hold of a paper or were told the questions by other children? FYI my DC attends an East Sussex school but we live in Kent. Fortunately the East Sussex parents don't seem to have an issue with her attending the school. What a shame the Kent parents couldn't be the same to East Sussex Children. This forum is supposed to be supportive and helpful to other parents, i'm afraid to say with some of the comments posted this appears to not be the case.
errrrr... "Kent Parents"...please do not be prejudice against every parent in Kent when commenting on a post by individual... as i have now taken offence "just saying" :cry:
sorry, should have said some Kent parents, i was very cross when i typed it!
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

ok :D
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

383 here, hope that's enough too :?: :?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Any thoughts yet to what people think the minimum West Kent superselective score would be i.e. for Skinners?
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Villagedad wrote:Any thoughts yet to what people think the minimum West Kent superselective score would be i.e. for Skinners?
Majority of us won't get scores until tomoz!! i would say anything over 380 and its worth putting it down. Over 400 is probably nearer the mark though (imo)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

It really depends almost entirely on who else applies. If I had a child sitting this year then I would definitely be spreading rumours that it wasn't worth applying below (his score plus 10), in order to try and limit the competition!
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

klmh1968 wrote:
Essex2Kent wrote:No one in county got full marks. Just goes to show there was an advantage taking it three days later. !! B

I actually find that comment really offensive, whether it was a joke or not it doesn't matter! How could children who sat the test 3 days later have an unfair advantage? do you really think that they managed to get hold of a paper or were told the questions by other children? FYI my DC attends an East Sussex school but we live in Kent. Fortunately the East Sussex parents don't seem to have an issue with her attending the school. What a shame the Kent parents couldn't be the same to East Sussex Children. This forum is supposed to be supportive and helpful to other parents, i'm afraid to say with some of the comments posted this appears to not be the case.
I don't think it was offensive and think it was just an opinion. I raised concerns over OOC chilren taking the test three days later before. Sadly information leaks and it's posdible some may have used that. Is that thier fault! Of course not. It's the system but it's open to some abuse. And I did say "some" :)

As a "Kent parent" you have maybe over generalised. People have mixed views. Some don't mind others do. Mainly those who live say in Sevenoaks or hilldenbotough object as they have places in Maidstone as OOC kids take the places in the local grammars. That's maybe hard to swallow. They are Kent schools after all.

But that's the system and we all have to live with it. But calling someone's post and free opinion offensive is a little off I'd suggest. Free speech etc.
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

Lol at Ladymucks Machiavellian ways! I agree, put your true order of preference down. If it is true that no one has full marks across the board the marks should drop quite a lot, as usually there is a big cluster on 423 (because that is where the marking stopped).
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The question you have to ask yourself is how would you feel if you didn't apply and then you discovered that this year the cutoff was 350.

Some parents would still prefer their local school.
A few might get sniffy and feel that the "brand" value had been lowered!
Others would be kicking themselves that they hadn't applied, and try to get on the waiting list (along with everyone else, so reducing their chances of a place

If you would like a place, but you try to get too clever and double guess how many will apply with what scores, then presumably it is because you don't understand the equal preference system (and I can understand why that might be the case.) Every year people seem to fail to get a place at their "first choice" school because, amazingly, they didn't put it as first choice on the CAF. You should put one "safe" choice on your CAF. Any other schools which you would prefer, can be placed in your true order of preference.

No one can tell you whether or not you will definitely get a place because at this moment in time no-one has the information as to how many children scored each score (until FOI requests get answered), and more importantly what school those children put as first choice. There may be 600 ooc boys who score 400+, but if they did equally well at St Olaves, the Sutton grammars and QEB and put those schools higher on their CAF, then they won't get Judd or Skinners(because they will have got their higher-preference school).

But yes, I can be Machiavellian. If I had a son who scored 370 this year, I would definitely be applying AND telling everyone else, "Oh, I think you'll need at least 400 to get Judd", in the hope that just a few extra boys wouldn't apply. Because with a lower score my best chance of a place is on National Offer Day, before the parents of children who scored 380 realise that they could have got a place and put their child on the waiting list ahead of mine.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now