Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Frustratedmum

Re: Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by Frustratedmum »

[quote="jayzee1"]Has the time for headteacher appeal passed? So too late to go down this route? Thanks[/quote]

I'm far from an expert but I am thinking headteacher appeal has to be done before results are announced? Someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

jayzee1 wrote:Has the time for headteacher appeal passed? So too late to go down this route? Thanks
Yes. HT appeals would have been done a few weeks ago and if successful you would have been told yesterday that your child was suitable for grammar school without any reference to whether it was by HT appeal or not.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thank you to both of you..much appreciated.....need to speak to school asap....wonder if any hta were done at my dd primary school? X
dartmum2

Post by dartmum2 »

jayzee1 - have a look on the kent website. If you wanted to appeal you would have to name DGGS and / or WGGS on your school common application form. http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-ch ... /kent-test and http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-ch ... hool-offer.

Perhaps you need to chat to your daughter's Head Teacher - they will be able to guide you through the process and help you make your decisions.

Don't forget there are some very good non-selective schools in Dartford - I would have been very happy to send my DD to Wilmington Academy if she had not passed last year - I have friends who have children that go there and are very happy with it. I also know lots of girls who are happy at DSTC as well. Also, don't forget about the Bexley schools that are close-by - St Catherine's is on the 96 bus route and quite a few girls living in West Dartford go there including my DD's best friend now(they wear the blue kilts and blazers). If you are close enough to Haberdashers in Crayford, that is also meant to be very good (but difficult to get in to).
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thanks Dartmum.....appreciate ur help x
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

Definately appeal. My daughter was 7 marks off last year in one paper although her aggregate score was 7 marks above what was required. So she missed out due to the 'distribution' of marks rather than her overall score. There were 37 appeals heard for the school and only 9 got in on appeal but both she and another girl in her class who was also short by 7 marks were both successful at appeal. It's not just a matter of how close to the mark your daughter got but a whole lot of stuff. Eg, her working level in that subject in KS1, KS2, whether you can show she was in the 'top group/table' at primary, a letter of support from the Head, her current teacher. Is the Head willing to attend the appeal to 'show' her support. Your child's other interests. Etc. All you can do is go for it.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Shiv wrote:Definately appeal. My daughter was 7 marks off last year in one paper although her aggregate score was 7 marks above what was required. So she missed out due to the 'distribution' of marks rather than her overall score. There were 37 appeals heard for the school and only 9 got in on appeal but both she and another girl in her class who was also short by 7 marks were both successful at appeal. It's not just a matter of how close to the mark your daughter got but a whole lot of stuff. Eg, her working level in that subject in KS1, KS2, whether you can show she was in the 'top group/table' at primary, a letter of support from the Head, her current teacher. Is the Head willing to attend the appeal to 'show' her support. Your child's other interests. Etc. All you can do is go for it.
Thank so much! You have really spurred me on as have the other ladies/mums....can I ask was this a kent school...dartford girls at all? English is her strongest subject but she only got 101.....so close but so far...thanks for ur help..x
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

My understanding from DGSG appeals is that if the child is not at level 5 (comfortably) then the chance of success is unlikely. They are also big into other non accademic accomplishments such as musical instruments, as this also demonstrates a rounded ability.

It seems the bit that gets parents caught out is that KS2 marking can vary from school to school. I'm of the opinion that in the LEA circles, some HTs have much more sucess than others. This could be down to consistency and accuracy of KS2 level workings in their own schools, and maybe even the reputation of the HT. If you have a very experienced HT with many years of appeals, backed by many years of imperical evidence that their pupils have indeed flourished at GS even though they failed 11+, this may carry some weight with appeal boards.

Based on some of the presentations I've seen from school heads in the last few months, some of whom sent me to sleep, i'd fancy your chances for an appeal.

Was 2003/2004 a low birth count for girls? That could also help
Last edited by Colmans on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thanks Colmans dd does attend music club...which she loves..and plays violin. Her head has been on an off school with illness so deputy is standing in....as far as I know she didn't appeal on hta before results...Dd is level 4 across board and worked her socks off.....plus we did debate a tutor but didn't go with one in the end...have u been through the appeals process yourself for Dggs? We are close to Dggs and wilmington girls..so either is good....thanks x
Jonnyzap

Post by Jonnyzap »

you could also have a look at the Knole Academy Grammar Stream.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now