Kent Test - OOC - Which schools to apply

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ladymuck

Re: Kent Test - OOC - Which schools to apply

Post by Ladymuck »

Indeed, Newstead Woods has its own test, and if you live more than 9 miles away, then you won't get a place.

Tutor system: I don't know these schools in detail, but I would be looking to find out who is my/my child's main point of contact throughout the school. So if there is a form teacher/tutor, how much time do they spend with the girls during the week, and what level of continuity is there across the years? Eg one school we looked at had a set of form tutors who were very good with year 7s, and then you would have a tutor for years 8&9, then 10&11 (and head of year would also continue with the yeargroup). In the school my children go to, they have the same tutor and HOY for years 7 &8, and then forms change round (due to 13+ intake) and again put in tutorgroups with a tutor who continues with them for 3 years (9-11), again with a HOY who is meant to be in place for these 3 years. Gives a lot of continuity when subject options and sets can mean a lot of changes.

It's one of those odd things, but gives some insight into the pastoral set up. 98% of time, everything goes well and you don't need to think about it, but for the 2% of times that you or your dd need help, it is useful to know how the structure works.
DifficultChoice

Post by DifficultChoice »

Thanks a lot Ladymuck, that is very interesting.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

HappyLilly wrote:Hi, my DS has got 359 and we are OOC (in Essex). We have no clue which schools to apply so that he has the best chance to get a place. There are so many schools in Kent and many different admission criteria. We are confused.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Also if we plan to move to Kent in the next 1-2 months will that give us an advantage?
Silly question maybe but what's wrong with the awesome grammars in Essex? And how would your daughter commute to Kent each day without going via London or the tunnel and you driving??

I believe you would have to move before you submit your choices yo be classed in area.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Absolutely true, our grammars are awesome :D. DS2 may have misunderstood, but he is under the impression that there is a boy in his year who travels in every day from somewhere in Kent...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, and he is a very good swimmer I hear.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote:Yes, and he is a very good swimmer I hear.
:lol:

Train, plural, via London, I believe :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now