Raw Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

Re: Raw Scores

Post by salsa »

fatbananas wrote:Does anyone know what the various cut offs for age differentiation are? Interesting to see the differences between a child who is 10 and one who is 10.6

Do they go 10 and 3 months and 10 and 9 months as well?
The standardisation is done month per month. How do we go about asking for the whole table of information including maximum and minimum scores for all ages?
How did people from the forum do this years ago? Freedom of Information request?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

salsa wrote:
fatbananas wrote:Does anyone know what the various cut offs for age differentiation are? Interesting to see the differences between a child who is 10 and one who is 10.6

The standardisation is done month per month. How do we go about asking for the whole table of information including maximum and minimum scores for all ages?
How did people from the forum do this years ago? Freedom of Information request?
The month by month score must be in decimals because the difference between, say, the English standardised scores for Lavenir and Pink99 boys is 2marks and they are a whole year apart.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

that must a be the case (and then round),as there are not usually 12 points between 10yrs 1 and 1 yrs when the standardised scores and raw scores come out.
johnnydepp

Post by johnnydepp »

Hi I have never posted on these forums before but thought my daughters raw scores may be useful (I have just received them) as she is 11 and I see you have scores from a 10 yr and 10 yr 6 months

MAths 21/30 = 128
English 22/24 = 126
REasoning 52/80 = 118
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

@ JohnnyDepp

That's interesting because my DS scored 47/80 so quite a few points less than your DD, but got 117 (very close to 118) so wonder if that's because he is 6 months younger?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mumof2boyskent wrote:
Pink99 wrote:10years only

English 23/24 = 96% (136)
Maths 21/30 = 70% (131)
Reasoning 65/80 = 81% (135)
Thank you for posting your raw scores - it is now very obvious that in order to score 138 on the English paper, you had to get them all right. I wonder if they will start to do this with all papers?

Great scores Pink99, you must be very pleased! :D
No, they surely wouldn't want all papers to be like that. It's surely not the way a paper that is set up to differentiate the top 25% well should be set up - not many wrong in the first 25 minutes of your 11plus and you've failed, bang.

It's probably jolly hard to come up with something that tests everything the council wants in English in 25 minutes and not produce something which is abominably hard or apparently ridiculously easy the way that this one must have been to result in the range of "raw pass scores" being so high and narrow.

I would think that these English raw scores are not GL's proudest moment as a reputable test publisher but what the purchaser wanted this year. It will, hopefully, be the start of a learning process for next year's test.

So I predict more change. A more "difficult" English paper or a longer one. It would almost be better to dump the writing piece and have more time to test the English if they think testing English attain matters for Kent grammar school entry.

I really don't understand what the panel of grammar and primary heads discussed about the Kent 11plus test. It didn't add much in the way of intelligence to this new test did it? It was nice to have it over in one morning --- but is there any statistical evidence that it was in any way better than the previous test?

I'm not sure how much the timing on the maths really matters to the element of some people's scores which is due to lucky guessing. Yes, guesswork affects the score - but it always has done in multiple choice tests. It's just perhaps that it is more of a problem now that the test is shorter. Still not sure why they went two notches faster on the maths timing though. The old Kent test was 50 questions in 60 minutes (over a minute per question), the GL familiarisation papers are 50 questions in 50 minutes (one minute per question) and the new Kent test was 30 questions in 25 minutes - less than one minute per question . Unless the questions were easier than the GL familiarisation papers (were they? I'm not sure they were harder despite so many people saying they were) why the need to up the speed so much? Whatever, it doesn't seem to have affected the raw scores in the maths particularly significantly. It's the English that's looking crazy and maybe there are some horrors buried in the combined NVR/VR/spatial raw scores. Who knows.
Pink99

Post by Pink99 »

If the test was easy, everyone would have really high raw scores, so either the test was at the right level, but standardising 24 questions = big differences per question, or it was easy in which case, more should have passed/scored high. Probably best to look at it in percentage given how few questions.
Maths was harder this year, because my elder child took last year (10yrs 9 months) got the same percentage as younger sister who took this year (10yrs) and got a higher standardised score. She also finished last years paper in 30 mins!
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

It's monthly chart but the movements are sight. All depends on raw score.
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

Scores for age 10 years and 10 months

English 16/24 = 67% (105)
Maths 16/30 = 53% (114)
Reasoning 46/80 = 58% (113)

Scores requested by e-mail from Kent this morning, received reply in a couple of hours. Don't forget to include the pupil ID (included on the results letter).
sandred

Post by sandred »

My son's scores were:-
English 18/24 - 111
Maths 23/30 - 131
Reasoning - 62/80 - 129
He was 11 on the day of the test.