Getting concerned

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sunshine

Getting concerned

Post by Sunshine »

The forms are through and the open evenings are all in the next few weeks.

Son has decided he would prefer to go to Grammar.

He is not super-clever, but is extremely articulate, astute and hardworking. He is in mostly top groups, but doesn't stand out as especially bright (I was always between the top 1-3 in primary school classes, moved up early etc - he is not).

His writing is poor. Concerted effort by all in his reading bore rapid results. Effort in the writing stakes comes to nothing.

I feel strongly that he is easily motivated and (unlike me) would do well at a grammar school and can cope with the challenge, I feel he would be much more likely to reach his potential (do all parents say that?!!) at Grammar.

I am worried he and I will be disappointed as perhaps his teacher will not recommend Grammar as an option. What should I/we be bearing in mind as we go through this process? All advice welcome. Many thanks.
katel

Post by katel »

It doesn't matter what the teacher says - if you put a grammar school down on your form, your ds will do the test. I suggest you get practice papers and work in them steadily and regularly and give it a go. What haev you got to lose?! And visit lots of schools of all types -if your ds falls ilove with one t will give im lots of motivation. Good luck!

Post by Guest »

Back again! We met with his teacher today. In the tests they took in class they were aiming for 115-120.

My son's standardised scores were:

Maths (his favourite subject) 116
Verbal 112
Non-Verbal 130

His teacher appears to think son would not struggle at grammar except with his writing, and that the school (despite saying 'no appeals this year') would appeal if he did not make it through the Kent test.

I still have concerns that going to the Grammar would be a big pressure on him. Do other parents have this? I am worrying myself an awful lot that, as he has a weakness with his writing, that it would be a huge challenge and he is so conscientious, and target-focused, I worry that targets becoming less attainable might serve to demotivate.

Any comments/advice from parents who have been, or are in, a similar position?

many thanks
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Sorry! 2 things, one is - the post above is mine, I had forgotten to log in. D'oh!

Secondly - how funny how my outlook has changed. I was sure Grammar was right for my boy, before we viewed the schools, and was concerned the school would not agree. In fact, the school could not have been more supportive with regards grammar and now I am the one who is unsure.

We plan to send the form in to school tomorrow. Very nerve-wracking, so all comments are welcome.

Many thanks

Post by Guest »

Does your son still want to go to grammar school?
If so, you've got your answer. He sounds like he has good support from school and a very able Mum!! Plus of course, he sounds quite capable.
Proud Mum

Post by Proud Mum »

My son is now in year 8 at Skinners'.

I was told by his primary school that he would be a boarder line candidate for the 11+. I thought long and hard about what schools to put down as I did not want him to end up in a bad school.

After looking around the schools he was adamant he was going to Skinners' which worried me more as its super selective.

My son also has trouble with his writing. It is awful and so is his spelling.

He ended up getting one of the highest scores in his school 419 out of 420!
I realised I nearly chucked away his chance of a grammar education.

He loves his school and has had lots of extra help with his spelling and although his writing is still messy he does not struggle there at all in fact if you are behind I think they make a big effort to help when this may not be the case at all schools.

If you and your son liked the grammars, go for it he will get on just fine.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

My son too was a borderline pass but from day 1 chose the grammar school, he is bright but being August born has always needed to 'catch up' with the class. We supported hm from early in KS2 with Kumon Maths then 121 tutoring as all along we felt he had potential even though his writing was barely legible and spelling appalling.
As time went on he became more confident in his ability as he moved into the Grammar school of his choice (not mine I might add - I would have chosen a mixed ed Grammar but he chose single sex)
During the first 2 years there were many tears as he struggled to find a level of friendships within the testosterone (sorry my spelling now!) charged classroom but never during that time did he fall behind work wise.
Now in Year10 he has come into his own and excels at English with top grades, writing is clear and structured and spelling has fixed itself by itself.
Only this week he has heard he is 20% ahead of his set in Maths and they want to move him to top set but he has said no. He is happy and settled in his class and I now hear names of boys he is friends with. Everyday I see him growing into the confident man I know he will be and I am so proud of him for sticking with it when it would have been so easy to walk away.
So for those of you wih doubts and concerns - no one knows your child like he/she knows themselves even at 11. Listen to them and support them even if it is not what you want for them.
Good luck to all and wish me luck too as I repeat the task with my daughter in both November (Medway) and January (Kent)
:D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now