What was the kent maths paper really like this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: What was the kent maths paper really like this year?

Post by Guest55 »

laurash wrote:I am a primary teacher and would like to update you all. Levels no longer exist in Primary Education . There may be a Level 6 maths paper this year but that will end in 2015-2016. Now the second time that Level 6 has been introduced by a government and then withdrawn. Schools are looking for ' mastery' at level 5 now so any really able pupils will just keep on doing the same things until the rest of the class catch up . Mastery means 'on hold' in primary schools.....they say it doesn't but as a teacher of high ability year 5s I am being told NOT to move them on to any Year 6 work - doh .
They do in Year 2 and Year 6 ...

What about using NRICH, PMC, UKMT etc? There was never any need for Year 6 to get bored before level 6 and using maths in an unfamiliar context introduces 'stretch and challenge'. Presumably your've read the ACME paper on able mathematicians?
salsa

Post by salsa »

What are these able kids, who have already learnt the material, going to do whilst they are "on hold". Seat there and listen to an explanation of something they already know? Poor kids! It is so painful to be bored whilst being expected to seat nicely!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

See my post above salsa ....
salsa

Post by salsa »

I did, but in reality being bored happens a lot to very able children.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It shouldn't - there's plenty of broadening and enriching opportunities - acceleration is not always the best.

Read the ACME report:

http://www.acme-uk.org/media/10498/raisingthebar.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

All DD seems to be doing at school for maths is Sats prep, sats prep and more sats prep. She is totally bored.... And so am I tbh.. I did not take time off from work to go to SATS meetings and we are not doing any practice papers at home. For our 11+ prep we worked at level 5 & speed. I have the impression that she is definitely not been stretched at school so would be surprised if she gets a level 6 paper.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I have printed off all the level 6 maths papers and started giving them to my child in bits at home as so far my gut feeling is that her maths had gone backwards since our 11 plus prep.

Those level 6 papers are nothing special and doing them has confirmed my fears - she has gone backwards in speed, mental maths efficiency and problem solving in her year 6 time.

She would get the level 6 maths easily if she was not supposed to go to school everyday!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now