Judd 2016 Admissions Consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Judd 2016 Admissions Consultation

Post by salsa »

All very interesting, thank you. I have another question, though. As we only considered Dartford and Wilmington due to proximity, we didn't research any other Kent schools. I think that Dartford is a fantastic school and some people mention boys from Dartford going to Judd. I cannot understand why. Is Judd that much better? Please do enlighten me!
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Perhaps the next step for Judd will be to join WoK in expanding into the Sevenoaks Wildernesse site with three forms of entry for boys, if the WoK annexe plan goes ahead in the meantime? The site will accommodate 6FE after all.

WoK changed its admissions boundary arrangements before its latest annexe proposal; Judd's admissions proposal may be precursory to an annexe proposal too. For 2017?

How well is Judd likely to be able to accommodate the proposed extra form of entry at its current site? Does it have classrooms to spare?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I read a relevant article in a local paper recently; it was about Judd or Skinners (pretty sure it was Judd). An old boy who is an architect had donated time instead of money to the school and designed a beautiful extension for the school. I am pretty sure that this was to provide extra facilities and allow an increased intake each year.

Do you see any progress with either the free school or the grammar annex on the Wildernesse site Chimera-Ma?

There's a good article about Judd's admission proposals on another Kent education blog.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Thanks, Mystery, the article you referred to re: Judd's proposals on another education blog is well worth reading. The reference to 'capital' investment suggests there may well be some building work planned.

The author seemed unaware, however, when referring to Skinners' intake, that the 'temporary' additional class has been made permanent, as confirmed at the school's recent Open Mornings. I mentioned in a different thread a while back that the Head is even considering introducing a fifth House to cater more readily for the five forms of entry (150 pupils).

Re: the Wildernesse site, there is a great deal of activity and noise each day but the buildings are still standing. There is a display board near the corner of Seal Hollow Road and the A25. The main banner reads, 'Construction of the Trinity School'. In smaller type , below a picture of the development, is a sentence confirming that planning permission for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annexe has been granted.
Last edited by chimera-ma on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Interesting. I suppose it saves some graffiti spray paint "and what about the annex?" .......... do you think they are lingering over the pre-demolition and demolition stages as long as they can in the hopes that something will change?

Sounds like the three West Kent boys are doing a good job of hoovering up the West Kent boys in the future maybe? Isn't Cranbrook expanding too which should ease things at the southern end of West Kent too?

TGS seems to be taking an extra class every year at the moment, and Weald seems to be taking in an extra class each year now . What's TWGSS up to? I never could understand the data for the grammar annex and if it allowed for these other schools taking in extra girls on their main sites or not.

More space for tennis courts???? :wink:
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I think Cranbrook are consulting over changing to an 11+ entry point in 2017. Lots of positive changes afoot (and extra spaces!)for 2016/17 boys.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Yes, the Cranbrook development sounds interesting too. I see from their website - their most recent newsletter - that a Parents' Forum is scheduled late January to discuss the 11+ initiative.

11+ entry at Cranbrook could reduce pressure on Tunbridge Wells schools to create extra places and would improve Year 7 options for families Maidstone-Ashford way, some of whom will miss out if the Judd boundary plan is introduced.

Addendum:

A new posting on the Skinners' School website re: a 2016 Admissions consultation which will run until the end of February:
http://www.skinners-school.co.uk/genera ... rticle=91/

The draft 2016 Admissions policy confirms that the Skinners' Year 7 intake will be 150 'each year'. Unlike Judd, there is no boundary proposal or any preference given to West Kent families:

One change for Year 7 entry: 5 places preferentially for boys eligible for free school meals who score not more than 10 points below the Skinners' cut-off for general entry in a given year.

For Sixth Form entry, there is a change from requiring a minimum of 5 Bs at GCSE level to requiring an average grade of 48 points over the best 8 GCSE subjects. (I imagine someone will want to start a new thread about this one...)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is 150 at skinners an increase in numbers?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

It's making permanent the extra form of 30 first added, I think, last year.
mystery

Post by mystery »

So, that's two out of three additional forms of entry sorted by the looks of it. But not in sevenoaks town as wanted by the sevenoaks grammar campaign. Is it enough?

Just spotted online that it is the skinners extension I was reading about. I haven't seen anything about a judd extension.

Is judd an academy or not?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now