Passed 11+ but did not cchoose grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NoBigDeal1

Passed 11+ but did not cchoose grammar

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Not sure if we have made the right decision! Is it too late.Put TWBGS as second choice & something else as number 1/Think son wanted grammar but I convinced of another option.Does anyone have boys at grammar & are they happy?
frangipani

Re: Passed 11+ but did not cchoose grammar

Post by frangipani »

Unfortunately school places will have already been allocated and results will be sent to schools on Monday. You can however go on the waiting list for any school you have named on your application, after allocation day on 2nd March.
But make sure you accept the school you are offered while you are on the wait list.

Can I ask why you changed your mind after your dc passed?

You have nothing to lose by sending him to GS if that's what he wants.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi NoBigDeal. Are you a Kent resident? You could not go on the waiting list for a lower down choice at other boroughs, but you can in Kent. Good luck!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:Hi NoBigDeal. Are you a Kent resident? You could not go on the waiting list for a lower down choice at other boroughs, but you can in Kent. Good luck!
Other LAs allow you to make a new application after National Allocation Day with a revised order of preference if you decide that you really want a place at a school you ranked lower on you original CAF. Certainly for our grammar schools, this can result in DC on the waiting list being moved down if the new / late applicant comes in further up the school's ranked list.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

frangipani wrote:Unfortunately school places will have already been allocated and results will be sent to schools on Monday. .

so will heads definitely be getting the list of school placements this week?

thanks
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

pushydaddy wrote:
frangipani wrote:Unfortunately school places will have already been allocated and results will be sent to schools on Monday. .

so will heads definitely be getting the list of school placements this week?

thanks
Yes, Monday 23rd Feb.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

I have a son in year 9 at TWGSB. Very happy and doing well. Has a nice group of friends who all work hard. I think though, that with support at home and the right attitude, your DS will succeed in whichever school he goes to. If you do change your mind though, you can go on the waiting list for any school on your SCAF whatever place you put it down. You could also appeal. We have been very happy with TWGSB.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Well we live in East Sussex but a lovely lady from KCC said we can fill out a form she could send me. My child has always been a bit of a slow burner at school.Bit of a chatter box at school but loves homework & works well at home but seems a bit distracted at school so school have never been that positive about his abilities. I knew he was capable though so we did test he got 359 so not sure what sort of score that is.He liked Boys grammar but my husband went to Bennett in sixth form & loved it so we put that but now we feel we have done him a dis-service because he did work so hard for 11+. If we get on a waiting list are we lower down it because we did not put the school as number 1? Do you think the school would let me go 7 have another look.Also if we go to appeal will I look a complete idiot for not putting it first?
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

It does seem a shame that he worked so hard for 11+ got a great score (39 points above the pass mark is excellent!) and to not have the opportunity to go to his preferred school seems sad. And he loves homework! Definitely sounds like GS material to me!

If I were you I would definitely go on that wait list. The school won't know they were place second, so it will make no difference but you will be ranked according to their oversubscription criteria, which for twgsb I think is distance. I also think you would stand a good chance of success at appeal with that score! I don't think the panel will know it was your second choice, but if they do I'm sure they will understand why you did it if you explain. And I'm sure they will have seen the same thing many times before. I can't see any reason why it would go against you, we all make mistakes.
Go for it! You gave nothing to lose.

Majority of schools are very accommodating for requests to look around, I've only come across one that was quite snobby and unwelcoming, who said they do not do tours other than open evening. Call them and ask, I'm sure they will be ok with it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Great score. Give it a whirl if he wants. But do not regret Bennett. Very good school and h should do just as well in top sets there.

Judd / skinners?