would you be bottom of the pile?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cranberry

Re: would you be bottom of the pile?

Post by Cranberry »

Also, once you are in, it doesn't always follow that those DC with the highest 11+scores are always the front runners. Far from it sometimes. If he gets a place from the waiting list, go for it!
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Thanks so much for words of encouragement.it's nice to hear these positive stories.felt like I was going a bit mad.also parents at your child's school seem to pass judgements on their abilities even though they are not in the classroom! I am going to mull it all over.we are very happy with what we have been offered and feel really lucky.so just to clarify if he is 4astar at the moment is that what he is now? Or could he get a bit higher in May sats or is this what he is predicted.And does this mean he is a bit thick? I won't be offended!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My understanding is that a secure 4 (i.e. a 4B) is the expected level at the end of Y6...so on that basis, if he is a 4A* now, he is above average already. Basically this indicates that he is a 4A already and working above that level but not consistently enough to say that he is a 5C across the board.

If he gets in off the waiting list he should be Ok - he may not be top in everything - but I guess he is used to that - some of the kids at GS find that a real shock to the system, when they aren't the best at everything - he'll find his level and you have nothing to lose by keeping him on a waiting list.
mystery

Post by mystery »

NoBigDeal1 wrote:Thanks so much for words of encouragement.it's nice to hear these positive stories.felt like I was going a bit mad.also parents at your child's school seem to pass judgements on their abilities even though they are not in the classroom! I am going to mull it all over.we are very happy with what we have been offered and feel really lucky.so just to clarify if he is 4astar at the moment is that what he is now? Or could he get a bit higher in May sats or is this what he is predicted.And does this mean he is a bit thick? I won't be offended!
He could get 5s in the ks2 tests. He can't get sixes unless they enter him.

Prepare for the ks2 tests like you did for the 11 plus test.

I do not believe that a child who got that score in the kent test last September can't get fives unless school has given him pap all of year 6.

What were his standardised and raw scores in each part of the kent 11 plus?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi NoBigDeal,
Another reason for your son to be 4a and not higher, having done so well in the exam, is that he may not be showing the work at school. What is his work like at school? Teachers need to show that a child has achieved a certain level in order to confidently allocate him such level. Some children do not work much at school and teachers cannot give them a higher level because if they had an inspection, they could not justify the child's level with what is on the notebooks.

Would this be your boy's case?

I know you report that he has worked well with you and that, due to health issues, he was behind initially. So, he has been catching up, good for him. Having speech problems can result in all sort of literacy problems, yet he pass the English part of the test!
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Weirdly he got 138 in English 108 in maths which I thought was he strongest and 116 in the reasoning if I rember correctly.if you want to prep for sats what are best books to get.not sure about raw scores?
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

No it was 135 English 108 maths 116 reasoning can't add up!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The past KS2 tests, with markschemes, are here:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php?optio ... Itemid=504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down for reading - writing is not formally tested now.

I would have thought the school would be keen to get him to level 5 as he will have made 'more than expected progress' which they need over 30% of the cohort to get.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Excellent English scores! People are saying that each wrong question cost you 5 points. So, your child scored 135/138 ! This would mean that he got just the one question wrong in English!

The raw scores is how many questions right he go in the test. You can get these scores by emailing Kent County Council. Quote your son's ID on your email.

As you know, they standardise these raw scores to give you the figure out of 138 for English, 141 for Maths and 141 for Reasoning.
AAE3

Post by AAE3 »

Nobigdeal1
My DS scored exactly the same as yours overall but was down by 6 in Eng therefore deemed not selective. Eng has been a sticky point for him in the past as he has never been the most verbally expressive of children. However he has since come up in leaps and bounds, his writing (including handwriting) has improved so much it's as if a light switch suddenly came on from the start of year 6. He scored 5C and 5A in the mock SATS (comprehension & spelling)
Definately worth giving your DS the opportunity as kids do pick up at different times some earlier or later than others
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now