Travel from Woolwich, London to Wilmington Girls, Dartford?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

Re: Travel from Woolwich, London to Wilmington Girls, Dartfo

Post by salsa »

The children at Wilmington boys told me that they often walked to Dartford station as the buses there were very infrequent. (1 mile through their shortcuts) Are you near Woolwich rail station? On club days your daughter could go to Dartford station and then onto Woolwich by train. Not ideal during the dark winter evenings. Could you pick her up on club days?
Did you know that Dartford will be on the Oyster system from Dec 2016?
By the way, you can do an oversubscription appeal for Dartford Girls. Have a look at the appeals section. Watch out for the appeal deadline. Good luck.
BexleyKent

Post by BexleyKent »

Thanks Salsa.

Walking a mile is not very ideal for a girl I think. I'll have to rearrange my working hours or something to suit her schedule, unfortunately.

Regarding the over-subscription, I didnt think I had any chance as my DD didnt score high enough to get in. It's past the official deadline but I can still file an appeal which will be dealt with after 30 working days.

Thank you for your advice x
salsa

Post by salsa »

I was thinking that they may have their clubs at lunchtime. Have you called the school?
I also think that walking a mile is very healthy. The problem is the time of the day and the dark winter evenings. However, there will be other children doing it. With time, I'm sure she'll be an expert on bus timetables! Also, she may have friends going the same way or get a lift to the station with someone. I found the Wilmington schools in a lovely rural setting. In fact, at least the boys, have a shortcut through "the woods" which my son loved.
If you can modify your work hours to pick her up, it would bring more advantages than just the travel. I'm sure it'll be lovely to have a chat about the day on the way home.
Having said that, my son would have been mortified about having his new found freedom curtailed!
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

I used to go to WGSG and even with shortcuts through a used-to-be-quite-rough-estate, which a lone girl still shouldn't walk through, the distance to Dartford station is nowhere near 1 mile, it's nearer 2.

Another route is to walk over Dartford Heath....I still visit Dartford so nowadays I know there's a path by the road instead of on the grass, but in the winter it's very muddy, cold, and to be honest, very scary in the darkening twilight of winter!

Sorry if these seems negative about walking to Dartford Station, but it's not an easy route. Check on Google satellite maps. You could always drive to the school at a weekend and then try the walk both ways?

A bus sounds much the better option, but I can't advise on these as I now live a few miles away in Gravesend.

*edited to add that I've just googled the distance between WGSG and Dartford station....2.4 to 2.7 miles, depending which route is taken!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi, it just goes to show that it's better to ask an adult!
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

salsa wrote:Hi, it just goes to show that it's better to ask an adult!
Or have the energy of a teenage boy, who thinks an awkward 2.5 mile walk is only a mile!
salsa

Post by salsa »

:) It's all that rugby training! :D
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

That would explain it! :lol:
BexleyKent

Post by BexleyKent »

Hahaha I wouldnt be sure if DD would be delighted to walk a mile, let alone nearly 3 miles lol

I would be worried if she had to take the walk though. Changing my working hours means going from full time to part time, which is not very ideal. However, I dont have any other options at the moment. I am thinking of taking her to school by bus in the first one or two weeks then let her go by herself.

The rural neighbourhood is nice to live in but a bit scary from my point of view for a little girl to commute, at least for now :( ... I blame it on all the scary crimewatch I've seen :(((
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now