End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Post by mystery »

So here's the early warning of the no to the grammar annex?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... blame.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the Daily Mail the first to pick up on this because they have a lot of readers in Sevenoaks? Doesn't say much for the schools there! :wink:

So can they crack on and get Trinity built now in time for September 2016? Or are they going to need triple decker portacabins in September 2017?

It's all more of a farce than it ever was and it was enough of one right from the outset.

Just off to build myself an annex in France ready for the summer holidays.
doodles

Re: End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Post by doodles »

No surprise I'm afraid Mystery! I can't say that I'm surprised as this has been going on since I was at school and that's many many years ago believe me. Hopefully the Trinity build will now speed up and what is proving to be an excellent school (from all I've heard) will be allowed to flourish.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - I am not surprised it is not considered to be an annex. Plus, I always have always had a gut feeling that it was not intended to succeed either - but I cannot think of a motive for why all the time and money would be put into a project which was not intended to succeed. So maybe this is just a strange notion of mine.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I completely agree with you Mystery, I've never truly believed it would happen. Perhaps going through the motions (however much it cost) was designed to put the idea to bed once and for all.
mystery

Post by mystery »

That's an interesting theory - you are suggesting it was an expensive form of group therapy intended to help people "let it go" ..... sounds like a song from Frozen now.
doodles

Post by doodles »

mystery wrote:That's an interesting theory - you are suggesting it was an expensive form of group therapy intended to help people "let it go" ..... sounds like a song from Frozen now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

An article in the Times today by the chair of the 1922 committee says the sooner the annexe opens the better. Has no-one sent him the memo? :lol:
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

So any impact on existing grammars that were not planning on having an extra class for Sept 16 but have previously eg Tonbridge and Wilmington or is it just going to mean an almighty squeeze and less places?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know. I never could understand the population versus school place data that was provided and whether or not it modelled in these "extra" classes which many of the grammars have done for many years. Was Tonbridge Grammar School definitely not wanting another extra form of year 7s in 2016? I was sort of assuming that it was from now on but I don't know where I got that idea from.
mystery

Post by mystery »

scary mum wrote:An article in the Times today by the chair of the 1922 committee says the sooner the annexe opens the better. Has no-one sent him the memo? :lol:
:D Perhaps the Daily Mail was wrong, or maybe he doesn't read it?

This is from the front page of the website "Conservativehome":

ducation 2) Morgan under pressure to approve new grammar

“The education secretary should approve “without delay” the first new grammar school in more than 50 years, according to the leading voice of Conservative backbench MPs. Graham Brady, chairman of the 1922 committee, is turning up the pressure on Nicky Morgan after Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, has urged the government to rethink its opposition to extending selective education. In an article in The Times today, Mr Brady, recently re-elected to his position, endorses Mr Johnson’s claim that grammars drive social mobility. He writes: “Wherever grammar schools exist they are hugely popular but a crazy anti-social mobility law introduced by Tony Blair prohibits new grammar schools. A Conservative government that champions parental choice should scrap this law.”” – The Times (£)

It's the same old thing as last time round - all the articles supporting a "yes" to the annex are calling it a "new grammar" which is not going to help under the current law.