End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Post by mystery »

Yes, it's just that a council apparently speaking on behalf of an academy seems unusual.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

chimera-ma wrote:Have just seen on KCC's website (planning portal):

A two-phase development is now proposed: Trinity's new buildings in time for September 2016; the annexe as a second phase, due to the delay in central government approval. (Yes, Mystery: into the long grass, I know...)

There is no change to the planned size or purpose of either school, so still 4FE for Trinity and 6FE for the annexe, both still as secondary schools only.

The proposed amendments to the original application are subject to public consultation until 28 August, so I imagine we won't see anything major happening onsite until after that date.
In a posting I've just read dated 15 August 2015, the builders, Willmott Dixon, have announced on their website that they have been awarded the contract to build Trinity. There is no mention of the grammar annexe at all, so it looks like KCC have given the go-ahead for a two-phase build - despite the public consultation period not having ended.

http://www.willmottdixon.co.uk/news/wil ... ree-school

I'd better go have another look at the Wildernesse site (and at the relevant KCC Planning Applications page)!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Phew, at last!

Think maybe you unearthed a well kept secret there that there was not already a contract in place to build Trinity!

If they are building an unapproved annex at the same time that would be another interesting find. Did you ever get invited on an archeological dig at Wildernesse?

Hot air balloon flights over the site to find out what is really going on may be useful to you? Or do you have connections to a spy satellite?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

The steel frame for the Trinity building is now going up.

A Willmott Dixon update notice by the public viewing windows confirms they are not starting the grammar annexe concurrently.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Much easier now you can see what is going on! I wonder if the daily mail article referred to further back in the thread was to make people feel happier when they saw trinity being built without the grammar annex?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Yes, I can leave the periscope at home now.

I wouldn't be surprised either if there was a"feed" to the Daily Mail before that article. It coincided with the public consultation on amending planning permission to allow for separate builds. And the Trinity build has started while the proposed amendment still "awaits determination". (I checked the KCC website again today.)

Anyhow, I'm pleased for the long-suffering Trinity folk.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

I spoke to a representative of the building contractors, Willmott Dixon, at the Trinity open evening this week. He said that the main structure of the school should be finished by Christmas and the noise of the build should then reduce dramatically. (Hooray for the children and staff!)

If the grammar annexe is not approved imminently, its construction is not likely to commence this academic year. If it is not approved at all, the allocated area will be grassed off until KCC decides what else to do with it.
salsa

Post by salsa »

According to The Times, the annex is approved!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sevenoaks/n ... -in-44772/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

On Radio 2 news first thing!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It's still quite early in the morning, so I may just have missed this, but I haven't heard any mention of the fact that WoK is girls-only? Is the new annex also just for girls, or will the main site have to accommodate a number of 11 - 16 year old boys on their compulsory days at the main site?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx