Kent test 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
grgygirl

Re: Kent test 2016

Post by grgygirl »

I was thinking the test may be changed to shorter sections with added time pressure. Hoping it all stays along the familiar (ish) GL lines. Do you think Kent will add any familiarisation papers nearer the time? I hope they do.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The time pressure in the Kent maths went up last year to a higher speed than Kent previously and a higher speed than the practice papers. Not sure if they kept up the same speed this year or not --- but that will become very obvious when people get their raw score marks in October - it can't remain secret after that on this forum.

I suppose they will up the speed either if Kent asks them to, or if they think it leads to more accurate results from the test. Lasst year the non-verbal reasoning as in shorter timed chunks than the Kent NVR usually is. Does CEM have small timed chunks right the way through everything so that you can't go back if you chose to? How long are these chunks?

In a way, small timed chunks are easier to prepare for than being left with 25 minutes and a full set of questions as it stops kids spending vast amounts of time on the wrong thing and not attempting to move on through the paper when they should.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

CEM has times chunks throughout but some are longer than others. You can't return to a section once completed.

It works for most I suppose however if you have a dyslexic DC you would want them to spend more time on vocabulary based questions than on maths and NVR. When my eldest did the GL VR he would write out all the compound word options in full as this was the only hope of him getting them right. He was so fast with the code types etc that he was able to do this and still complete a paper. He would have struggled with a CEM paper.
mystery

Post by mystery »

That makes sense. I suspect though that the only gl verbal reasoning question types that are being used in kent now are the ones which depend on vocabulary and spelling knowledge. I think the numerical ones have gone, as have the letter relationship and code type questions.

The test now consists of 25ish mins of English in the first paper, 25minsish of maths, 25 mins of verbal reasoning with question types as described above, and about 25 mins of nonverbal and spatial split into mini chunks.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If there is an NVR paper then it makes up for the absence of all the code type questions. Maybe that is why they have eliminated them. The ones that I felt really tested DC were the old Z type but of course all that work for one mark made them time heavy and not worth answering in the scheme of things. My DS still did though, had the time and was pretty accurate. A couple of extra marks for them would have sorted the sheep from the goats IMHO :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am not sure that Z type has entirely gone!!
pushydaddy

Post by pushydaddy »

So if I have read this thread correctly, are people now expecting the 2016 test to be similar to the 2015 one? Assuming that GL don't come up with a new format for this year (seems unlikely unless they are either being paid to develop it, or they think it is necessary to win a longer contract)

So if it the same format as last year, can anyone point me at a clear resource that describes the format of the 2015 test?

thanks

Pushy
mystery

Post by mystery »

Best thing you can do at the moment is read the familiarisation paper for 2015 on the grammar school section of the Kent CC website in the secondary school admission section in the grammar bit of it .... and wade your way through a load of stuff on this site.

It will stsill test reasoning, maths and English, will be multichoice and it's not that likely it would go back to taking up two morning ike it used to, but other than that it's anyone's guess as this will be year 1 of a new contract with Gl assessment
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now