Test Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsdarling2

Re: Test Results

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Does a Head not (automatically) share the detailed information on my DCs score unless I ask for it?
salsa

Post by salsa »

I think in some schools they do. In others, unless you ask you don't get the breakdown. I guess some people do not need to know and others may not want to.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

Suspiciously I suspect my daughter has failed the Kent test. I wasn't expecting her too as although bright her dyslexia really does slow her down to a point verbal reasoning is a non starter. She wanted to do the test as her sister did it and passed in 2013 so I let her. The reason I suspect this failure, is that several children were taken out of class yesterday and invited to do Latin lessons. As Latin is only taught in grammar schools in our area, and there would be no point teaching children Latin for no reason, I suspect these chosen children are the ones that have passed! Do the schools think we are thick and think we can't work out their strategies, or do they not think our children talk to us parents lol!
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Does anyone know if Bexley headteachers have the Bexley results yet?
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Thanks blakesmum, pettswoodfiona and salsa. Really scary!
mystery

Post by mystery »

bexamy wrote:Suspiciously I suspect my daughter has failed the Kent test. I wasn't expecting her too as although bright her dyslexia really does slow her down to a point verbal reasoning is a non starter. She wanted to do the test as her sister did it and passed in 2013 so I let her. The reason I suspect this failure, is that several children were taken out of class yesterday and invited to do Latin lessons. As Latin is only taught in grammar schools in our area, and there would be no point teaching children Latin for no reason, I suspect these chosen children are the ones that have passed! Do the schools think we are thick and think we can't work out their strategies, or do they not think our children talk to us parents lol!
LOL! Our school does not think children talk to parents - and then when your child does tell you one of the state secrets from school they tell that your child was mistaken or lying when they absolutely were not.

There could be no connection between these two things. I would argue that there is always some point in learning some Latin and that if they've got someone who can teach Latin well to year 6 children that they should offer it to all of them. What's the reason for restricting it? And what's the point in teaching it to those who are going to grammar school if they're going to learn it there anyhow? I would ask them on what basis Latin is being offered to some of year 6 and not all of them? Bet there were plenty of illiterate and dyslexic Romans who still learned Latin. And if it's instead of a NC subject I'd be arguing that those children should be being developed in that subject, not receiving less of it in order to learn a few smatterings of Latin.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

An ill-considered move by your DD's school, Bexamy. Reminds me of my DS's school forming a Coding Club by invitation only. The timing is very unfortunate for you and others on tenterhooks about 11+ results. No gender bias, I hope, in who was given the Latin taster?
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

No gender bias at all! 5 boys, 5 girls very even stevens too and the brighter children in the class too! I haven't even approached the school about it, nor will I. I find it quite amusing really. Quite pleased and feeling smug that I know my daughters failed 3 weeks before every one else who hasn't made the connection. Made it easier really whilst trawling the local comps, as at least we know its not a waste of time as she will not be going to the grammar. :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are you making some decisions about which grammar just in case she has passed or is the choice straightforward from where you live in Bexley? Hope the connection you have made is wrong!
Maddiebean

Post by Maddiebean »

LOL! Bexamy! I think you may be jumping to a few conclusions there. Latin is a fantastic language to learn for many children, not just those going to grammar. My dc's primary school used to run a Latin club. It sounds like the school has just chosen kids they think will access and enjoy Latin (in your words, the bright ones!).
The school has absolutely nothing to gain from doing Latin with grammar school children only and you must think very little of the teaching staff if you think they are that obvious.

You may find that as they are 'the bright children' all of those who have been chosen for Latin do pass the 11+ but it doesn't mean those who weren't chosen haven't passed. FWIW, as a teacher myself, I wouldn't choose to have more than 10 children in an academic club introducing a new language. Hope that puts your mind to rest a bit, all hope is not lost!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now