Appealing for Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ilesoleil

Re: Appealing for Kent

Post by ilesoleil »

As with Shiv, my daughter had high scores in 2 papers and failed in english. no reason why she didn't perform on the day and we said it to the panel, but we also had strong academic evidence for her year 5 work. It is possible to make a good case.
EmJC

Post by EmJC »

My daughter failed on English by 5 points, but had overall score of 345. She is a high ability dyslexic child. We had lots of amazing support letters and strong evidence of her academic ability and that the English part of the test was hindered by the dyslexia. We appealed, but wasn't successful. HOWEVER, the panel DID find her suitable for Grammar school (just not as worthy as the 13 they'd given places for whatever reason) so we are now on the waiting list for Weald of Kent Grammar School. We hadn't been aware that they could agree with you but then still not give you a place. The whole process is really quite stressful. Does anyone have similar experience? And more importantly, has anyone then got a place after being put on the waiting list following an appeal??? We are roughly 5th on the list.......
NotEnoughHours

Post by NotEnoughHours »

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter did not get a place from the appeal but do not give up hope! The whole process is ridiculously stressful and I can sympathise with you completely.
I do know of this happening quite frequently. What is often not made clear is that if your child does not pass the kent test and you appeal to an over-subscribed grammar school then you are effectively making 2 appeals at the same time, one for non-qualification and another for over-subscription. If the panel feel, as they obviously did, that your daughter was suitable for grammar then you win that part of the appeal. Unfortunately if they decide it is detrimental to the school to accept all grammar qualified children then they take in the number they feel acceptable and the rest end up on the waiting list, it happens quite often but it is an extremely frustrating and upsetting thing to happen after you have put your heart and soul into an appeal.

Although a far from ideal scenario for you there is still movement in September as quite often children do not turn up on the first day due to moving away or parents holding on to more than one school place before deciding to attend private school or a school given on 2nd allocation and do not let the school know :evil:
Did Weald say whether the school will need to drop back below pan before offering places from the waiting list or will it offer if it drops below the number of places offered after appeal? If it is the latter then chances of getting in on the waiting list would be higher and 5 places is quite possible.

I wish you and your daughter the very best of luck, I have sat on waiting lists and gone to appeal for both of my children so completely understand how horribly helpless the process makes you feel but if it's where you want her to go then don't give up xx
EmJC

Post by EmJC »

Hi Notenoughhours. Thank you so much for your response, it has given me hope. The waiting list is on a one out one in basis. I am very aware we might get an offer into the 1st few weeks of term, which I'm quite worried about (as she might be settled in other school). It also means possibly buying 2 lots of uniforms (as if offered last minute can't get in time) and changing bus passes at last minute etc... The whole process is soul destroying and unfair. By the way, did you win your appeals or get through on waiting lists following appeals!??
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Have you spoken to Mrs Manning in admissions at Weald? She is lovely and was really helpful to us when we were waiting for a place at Weald. She should be able to give you a very good idea on your chances and also will let you know how you are progressing on the waiting list if you keep in touch with her.
I really hope you get a place soon.
We had to wait for the second round of offers to get a place and that was hard enough, but I do know that there is still plenty of movement over the next few months so I certainly wouldn't give up hope and don't buy the uniform for the offered school quite yet!
Good Luck!
EmJC

Post by EmJC »

Thank you for that. Yes I have spoken to Mrs Manning, & yes she is lovely & happy for me to harass her weekly for updates. She says historically only 1 or 2 get in between now & September, so I think if we were offered it would be after the year starts which is quite depressing :(
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

I have sent you a pm

Good Luck - I hope you get a place, ideally before September. Our DD starts at Weald in September. Mrs Manning has been so helpful and with 2 extra classes this year I hope there is more scope for a few (well 5 really) more people to move around.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now