Tgs or colchester girls which one was topping league table

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NellHunter

Re: Tgs or colchester girls which one was topping league tab

Post by NellHunter »

I had two thoughts for both the parents posting on this thread.

1. If you are choosing between two or more schools, which are academically some of the best in the country, perhaps the answer is to see whether your daughter has a preference. They must be bright girls, so I'm sure they must have an idea of which felt like the best fit to them and where they think they will be happy. And they are the ones who will be attending for 5 (or 7) years, with either a long commute or the pressure of a family relocation on them. As a child, I had the choice of two good schools and my parents let me make the choice. I chose the one they would not have chosen (worse journey, better facilities) and I never regretted my choice and neither did they. My daughter went to the open days for the schools she has the possibility of attending and she has made the choice. The margins you are talking about academically are slim and very dependent on factors outside of everyone's control year on year, I would have thought the broader feel of the school and whether your daughters think they would be happy there should be the key consideration.

2. If you are comparing IB v A-level schools, this is a key consideration. The IB is a different kind of exam, requiring broader subject study in years 11-13, as I understand it, and at Tgs it effects the way the children are taught right through the school. One differentiator might therefore be whether you think your daughter is suited to IB or better suited to A-levels. I don't know a huge amount about it but I have read for example that you cannot study chemistry, physics and biology together and that this can put off children who are very science-orientated.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mad? Isn't being rude, she is simply reacting to something that appears to be widespread on here. Children sitting multiple 11 plus exams, not having visited the schools & parents wanting their DCs at a grammar school - any grammar school - as long as it is at the top of the league tables. They are just schools with the same curriculum as others, some good teachers, some poor teachers, bullying etc etc. It may not be the case with these posters, but it is a common attitude.
If you must look at league tables, look at the value added. Otherwise chose a school that you think will cater well for your child and is relatively easy to get to.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

scary mum wrote:Mad? Isn't being rude, she is simply reacting to something that appears to be widespread on here. Children sitting multiple 11 plus exams, not having visited the schools & parents wanting their DCs at a grammar school - any grammar school - as long as it is at the top of the league tables. They are just schools with the same curriculum as others, some good teachers, some poor teachers, bullying etc etc. It may not be the case with these posters, but it is a common attitude.
If you must look at league tables, look at the value added. Otherwise chose a school that you think will cater well for your child and is relatively easy to get to.
Thank you Scary :o /
Curious I have no need be told to read the papers thank you :o
Mamu, now you are being rude, and I am out of catchment in London as it goes, but have offered support to DP over the past 8 years. Looking forward to all the help you will offer similarly :o
mad?
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

mad? wrote:
scary mum wrote:Mad? Isn't being rude, she is simply reacting to something that appears to be widespread on here. Children sitting multiple 11 plus exams, not having visited the schools & parents wanting their DCs at a grammar school - any grammar school - as long as it is at the top of the league tables. They are just schools with the same curriculum as others, some good teachers, some poor teachers, bullying etc etc. It may not be the case with these posters, but it is a common attitude.
Thank you Scary :o /
Curious I have no need be told to read the papers thank you :o
Mamu, now you are being rude, and I am out of catchment in London as it goes, but have offered support to DP over the past 8 years. Looking forward to all the help you will offer similarly :o
Thanks mad Let's do a maths...

There are 29.3 million tax payers in this country

So how much of your tax I have wasted

Let say even they spent 100 pounds on my daughter 11plus exam
You mean to say kent county council spent 13500×100 pounds
So you divide 100 pounds /29.3 million

I think you know the answer

So how much I have to sent each of these tax payers????

Do you have a currency available to send 0.00003p per person

Common give me a break..... :idea: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you really care about your tax money why don't you go and stop them spending money on war and etc etc....
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

Can we please all be civil on these threads?? We are supposed to be the educated parents of the top cohort of advanced learners. Petty bickering should be left to the comments section of the Daily Mail website :roll:
curiousappa

Post by curiousappa »

Dantsw13 wrote:Can we please all be civil on these threads?? We are supposed to be the educated parents of the top cohort of advanced learners. Petty bickering should be left to the comments section of the Daily Mail website :roll:
I agree