TGS commutting from seven oaks/ Turnbridge wells

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: TGS commutting from seven oaks/ Turnbridge wells

Post by doodles »

For the TW schools I would expect that the bus would be the cheaper option and to be honest is probably the better option as it stops outside TWGSB and then Skinners before going onto Bennett. There are several buses and bus stops all along Bradbourne Vale Road and then Riverhead and Bessels Green before they take the A21 down to TW and are there in plenty of time for registration. If you opt for the train you do need to factor in the walk up from TW station which is about 15 minutes to Skinners - for TWGSB the nearer station would be High Brooms.

Try looking at the go-coach website - they are the big yellow buses based on the vestry estate and the numbers are 431x, 433x 432x

Both DS have a bus pass (u16 it's £200 for the whole academic year) and then catch the train as and when they stay late for a club or training. I think the u16 single train fare from TWells to Sevenoaks is £3.50 and ds1 (who is 17) uses his discount rail card and his single fare is then in the region of £6.
chimera-ma

Re: TGS commutting from seven oaks/ Turnbridge wells

Post by chimera-ma »

Thanks, Doodles. You kindly provided some of this information previously, but I am now also looking at options for combined bus/train travel using a combined pass/ticket or two. Having the single train ticket prices for comparison is useful though, so thanks for that addition.

I realise a bus pass alone would be the cheapest option, but I would like DC to be able to chop and change between bus and train and to be able to use a bus both ends of his journey. I'm worried that there is no back-up to the 431X/432X from our Wildernesse/Trinity stops should they be running late and DC would not have time to walk/run to Bradbourne Vale Rd or St John's Hill for a different school bus, so we need to have other options. I also want to limit his travel to an hour or so each way, including for any back-up option: this is greater priority for us than cost (and also one reason for onging support for a Sevenoaks grammar option for future families!).

'PLUSBUS' is an add-on to a train ticket which allows for a bus journey before or after the train journey, or both ends, and I'm wondering if other families use this train add-on for season tickets for their DCs rather than buy a bus pass for £250 in addition to the termly train ticket. It's also an option other people may want to explore from other locations to the West Kent schools, which is why I've raised it on this thread.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now