Online secondary application

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bexamy

Online secondary application

Post by bexamy »

Just gone to do the online application form and would like to check something with you all. My daughter did NOT pass the Kent Test, but DID pass the Dover Girls Entrance Test. Whilst going to submit my school preferences, with Dover Girls obviously being my first choice as her sister goes there too as well, the form says has not been assessed suitable for grammar school for the Kent test procedure. I can't see anywhere to submit that she has passed the Dover Test. Is this correct, do KCC just know this or is there something I'm missing? My other daughter passed both the Kent and the Dover test so I didn't have that problem. Don't want to do the form wrong and lose her chance of going to grammar. Thanks
sots80

Re: Online secondary application

Post by sots80 »

I have submitted my DC SCAF already but if I remember rightly there is a comment box for each school you put on the application where you can write any information you think is relevant. If it was me I would note something in there as to the fact your DD passed the Dover test.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

Yes that's right sots80 , its with the reasons for choosing school along with siblings, distance, SEN etc. I have entered in that box under the Dover Grammar school choice 'passed Dover Grammar Entrance Test', but before I submitted it wanted to know if anyone knew if that was right. Was just concerned that no where on that form did it suggest she had passed the Dover test, so her application would be dismissed.
sots80

Post by sots80 »

I'd be the same, worried about clicking that submit button in case it was wrong! The list of who have selected Dover Girls as a preference is sent to the school, who check it against their admissions criteria, the first being having passed the Kent Test or the Dover test. Thinking about the rest of the admissions criteria eg nearness to school/LAC/sibling etc they must have a way of checking each individuals information to match it to their criteria so they would see your DD has passed the Dover test? Have had a look at the email I have rec'd from submitting my SCAF and it has the info I have added (eg older sibling) but that email doesn't mention anything about having passed either test.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

I am presuming that the not assessed suitable for a grammar school through the Kent test procedure, means just that. She wasn't assessed suitable via that. She failed by 2 marks in her English but got an overall score of 331 (she's dyslexic so wasn't surprised by the score in English). But because its a KCC form I suppose they can't list all the separate school tests on their list. If it goes to the school to check presumably they will know that she's passed their own test (especially if they see my footnote on the form saying so) and that would be enough. I might give KCC a ring though before submitting it being the coward that I am!
sots80

Post by sots80 »

Haha, I would have to check with KCC too, its so nerve wracking filling this form in!

Let us know what KCC advises, it may help someone else in the future
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

Well on talking to them I am extremely worried she won't get a place at all! Apparently because she failed the Kent test her application will automatically be rejected and I will have to appeal it on the grounds she passed the Dover test. When I asked if it had changed because in previous years people who had passed just the Dover test didn't need to appeal for a place I was told depends on spaces. If a school has 50 spaces and 45 people pass the Kent test then 5 people which had passed the Dover Test would get a space. But bottom line was Kent test pass children would take priority over children who had only passed the Dover Test. I am sure this wasn't the case when my eldest did it 2 years ago. Submitted the form now and await VERY anxiously the outcome.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bexamy wrote:Well on talking to them I am extremely worried she won't get a place at all! Apparently because she failed the Kent test her application will automatically be rejected and I will have to appeal it on the grounds she passed the Dover test. When I asked if it had changed because in previous years people who had passed just the Dover test didn't need to appeal for a place I was told depends on spaces. If a school has 50 spaces and 45 people pass the Kent test then 5 people which had passed the Dover Test would get a space. But bottom line was Kent test pass children would take priority over children who had only passed the Dover Test. I am sure this wasn't the case when my eldest did it 2 years ago. Submitted the form now and await VERY anxiously the outcome.

I have been having a look online and can't find any reference to this at all - the only oversubscription info doesn't seem to discriminate between the two tests... am sure whe can get some more expert info soon though and clarify the answer
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Have you tried ringing admissions? They are very helpful.

Dover Grammars will accept children who have failed Kent test but passed the Dover Test.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

I rang the 03000 412121 number which is I believe the admissions number. It is the information they gave me. Although the lady did have to go and check first. I am aware that Dover take girls having only passed the Dover test, but wasn't aware that girls passing the Kent test would take priority over a girl passing the Dover test only. Guess you learn something new everyday lol.