Second round offers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Second round offers?

Post by salsa »

I'm afraid that's the way it works at Wilmington. The head openly said it on stage one of our appeal. The waiting list is frozen. He said that everyone was encouraged to appeal as there would practically be no chance of getting in on the waiting list. My son was 3rd the waiting list after the first round of allocations!
catcool

Post by catcool »

WELL SALSA MAKE SURE YOU ASK AT YOUR STAGE 2 HEARING HOW MANY PLACES HAVE BEEN DECLINED AND IF IT IS DOWN BELOW THREE MAKE SURE THE PANEL KNOW YOU ARE 3RD ON W/LIST AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE PLACE . invite PANEL TO UPHOLD YOUR CASE AT STAGE 1 AS THE ADMISSION ARRANGMENTS HAVE NOT BEeN CORRECTLY AND IMPARTIALLY APPLIED IN YOUR CASE AND IF THEY HAD BEEN YOUR CHILD WOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOCATED A PLACE.
is THIS SCHOOL AND ACADEMY OR AN LA SCHOOL AS IF LA NOT UP TO THE head TO MAKE THIS decision IT IS A Matter FOR KENT admissions SO TELL THEM THAT IS WHAT HE IS doing.. (sorry just seen capitals)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Oh, sorry I'm talking about 3 years ago. I believe the school is an academy, so I suppose they can make up their own rules?
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

I have no idea re the waiting lists being frozen this year, that comment wasn't made by me,I just get updates from my friend who is after a place, but it's looking unlikely. However, my son is in year 7 at Wilmington and I know that during his year of allocations 149 of the 150 places were taken in the first round so in essence there wasn't really a second round. It could be much of the same this year - it seems this year, there has been very little (if any) movement after first round allocations at DGS/WGSB and it seems the same for the Bexley grammar schools too. Everyone seems to be holding onto their places.
salsa

Post by salsa »

The freezing of the waiting list has been going on for at least a few years.

People hold onto their places until the appeals are over. They are all being heard now. So, not long. However, if the panel allocates above PAN the waiting list will not move.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:Oh, sorry I'm talking about 3 years ago. I believe the school is an academy, so I suppose they can make up their own rules?
Not according to my understanding - the School Admissions Code (which is referenced in the School Admissions Appeals Code) is 'Statutory guidance for admission authorities, governing bodies, local authorities, schools adjudicators and admission appeals panels'. (my italics). Nowhere does it say, 'except academies'.

Section 3.10 of the Appeals Code ('Consideration of prejudice') states that 'Whilst the panel must take into account the school's published admission number, the admission authority must be able to demonstrate prejudice over and above the fact that the published admission number has already been reached.' (my italics). So I should say that he a panel member doesn't raise the issue, someone else should make sure that they ask the HT to confirm that s/he has indeed directed that admissions from the waiting list be frozen for the duration of the appeals and for an up to the minute figure for the number of children currently expected to start at the school at the beginning of September (i.e. have any pupils who had accepted a place turned it down since the 'freeze' was initiated?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
The Thirdman

Post by The Thirdman »

Had just finished a first round appeal meeting on Thursday and dreading the second round appeal on Tuesday when we received a call from Skinners on Friday to say our DS has been accepted. :D
So if its any help to anyone we declined the TWGSB offer Friday afternoon.
I have to say I have no problems with TWGSB apart from its size which brings its own problems with a very few that lets it down. It has some very good teachers and and a very nice headmaster. Opportunities are there to be had!

That is us pretty much done with this 11 plus stuff now. I have to say thank you to everyone on these pages for the info and jokes over the years. I feel like its been a marathon, and dreaded going back to the forum pages but felt to do so from time to time. The worst kind of therapy! :shock:
Just remember those of you with younger offspring (Especially boys) who want to pass the 11 plus that the Xbox and Ipod/phone are indeed the enemy! :evil:
oh!...and read, read, read and read.

Best wishes to you all, some of which I know and you know me, but most of which shall remain strangers maybe even fellow strugglers against the unfairness of bright children in West Kent looking for a suitable school place
This is the Riverhead Popular Front signing off.
:wink:
salsa

Post by salsa »

The Thirdman wrote:Had just finished a first round appeal meeting on Thursday and dreading the second round appeal on Tuesday when we received a call from Skinners on Friday to say our DS has been accepted. :D
So if its any help to anyone we declined the TWGSB offer Friday afternoon.
I have to say I have no problems with TWGSB apart from its size which brings its own problems with a very few that lets it down. It has some very good teachers and and a very nice headmaster. Opportunities are there to be had!

That is us pretty much done with this 11 plus stuff now. I have to say thank you to everyone on these pages for the info and jokes over the years. I feel like its been a marathon, and dreaded going back to the forum pages but felt to do so from time to time. The worst kind of therapy! :shock:
Just remember those of you with younger offspring (Especially boys) who want to pass the 11 plus that the Xbox and Ipod/phone are indeed the enemy! :evil:
oh!...and read, read, read and read.

Best wishes to you all, some of which I know and you know me, but most of which shall remain strangers maybe even fellow strugglers against the unfairness of bright children in West Kent looking for a suitable school place
This is the Riverhead Popular Front signing off.
:wink:
Congratulations! Could I ask if you got your place off the waiting list or appeal?
We've got a discussion going on whether waiting lists are frozen whilst appeals are being heard. Thanks.
salsa

Post by salsa »

ToadMum wrote:
salsa wrote:Oh, sorry I'm talking about 3 years ago. I believe the school is an academy, so I suppose they can make up their own rules?
Not according to my understanding - the School Admissions Code (which is referenced in the School Admissions Appeals Code) is 'Statutory guidance for admission authorities, governing bodies, local authorities, schools adjudicators and admission appeals panels'. (my italics). Nowhere does it say, 'except academies'.

Section 3.10 of the Appeals Code ('Consideration of prejudice') states that 'Whilst the panel must take into account the school's published admission number, the admission authority must be able to demonstrate prejudice over and above the fact that the published admission number has already been reached.' (my italics). So I should say that he a panel member doesn't raise the issue, someone else should make sure that they ask the HT to confirm that s/he has indeed directed that admissions from the waiting list be frozen for the duration of the appeals and for an up to the minute figure for the number of children currently expected to start at the school at the beginning of September (i.e. have any pupils who had accepted a place turned it down since the 'freeze' was initiated?).
I thought it was all above board as the head said it openly at the stage one meeting. So you knew then that only those whose appeals were upheld would get a place. Unless of course other pupils gave up their places. We weren't told if they were under PAN at the time the appeals started.
The Thirdman

Post by The Thirdman »

As you have already gathered, no the lists aren't frozen, and yes he was accepted from the waiting list.
Best of luck, I have experience of an appeal process which wasn't very appealing. :roll: