Dartford Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sammy75

Dartford Grammar School

Post by sammy75 »

Hi,
DS has got an admission to Sutton Grammar. But I am thinking of relocating to Dartford as I can't afford to buy a house in Sutton. His current position is 60+ in out of zone waiting list. What chances he's got of getting admission after 2-3 months.

Thanks.
salsa

Re: Dartford Grammar School

Post by salsa »

Hi Sammy75,
I would think very slim. Every year, a number of people get a place on appeal. You can find out how many by emailing the school. As those children increase the number of allowed children at the school, or PAN, those in the waiting list cannot obtain a place until the school has gone below PAN which is 180. So, if 10 children win an appeal, there would be 190 children at the school, say 11 give up their place reducing the number to 179 children, then child number 1 would be offered a place. In your case, there are a lot of children who would have to turn the place down.

Could you ask the school what your chances would be? I know there is a lot of movement at other schools, but I have no idea about Dartford Grammar. I just know that a lot of people appeal, 80 or 90.
sammy75

Post by sammy75 »

salsa wrote:Hi Sammy75,
I would think very slim. Every year, a number of people get a place on appeal. You can find out how many by emailing the school. As those children increase the number of allowed children at the school, or PAN, those in the waiting list cannot obtain a place until the school has gone below PAN which is 180. So, if 10 children win an appeal, there would be 190 children at the school, say 11 give up their place reducing the number to 179 children, then child number 1 would be offered a place. In your case, there are a lot of children who would have to turn the place down.

Could you ask the school what your chances would be? I know there is a lot of movement at other schools, but I have no idea about Dartford Grammar. I just know that a lot of people appeal, 80 or 90.
Thanks for your reply. I am expecting lot of rejections from those 65 before DS. Anyone who gave kent exam, they sent a post asking for their preferences. This is in addition to people who gave their preferences in online system. I am guessing many just gave Dartford as a choice without any serious intention of going there. Last year the cut off was 369 for OOC and DS got 360.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Presumably you will be in catchment if you move and your place on the waiting list will go up?
Can you find out from the school where you would be on the waiting list if you move?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Have you asked the school? You could email Dr Kingham. The question would be how many people turned the school down after appeals. The thing is that this figure is never published. The year my son joined he was 3rd and 12th on two Kent Grammar schools. He had the same score as the other children but lived further away. I had to appeal as I didn't want to leave it to chance. In Kent this is called an over subscription appeal.
Please note that although 9 points or even a couple of points may seem like not a lot, in reality there may be many children with a higher score.

About moving, isn't there a time limit to be considered in catchment? I don't know if there is a waiting list for in area children, but last year all in area children got a place. This year, there was a cut off for in area children.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

When does the school stop admitting from the waiting list and start admitting new entrants as 'in year admissions'? At this point, parents usually have to confirm that they are still interested in a place for their DC - you could ask the school whether there is a fall in numbers at this point. Bearing in mind that there is quite a distance between Sutton and Dartford, however you try to do it, you run the risk of your DS having to travel from the one to the other, unless you make the decision to move as soon as possible, apply for a place at your new catchment (or at least as near to your new house as possible) school for him to have a place in September and tell DGS that you are now living nearer? That would avoid having to move house very quickly indeed if a place did come up (or your DS having a ridiculous journey to school until you could move).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
sammy75

Post by sammy75 »

Thanks for all the replies. But I am bit confused about the questions that needs to be asked to admissions team of DGS.
1. What will be his number in waiting list if he were in catchment now?
2. When does the schools stop taking admissions from waiting list and treat it as 'in year'
3. ???
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I would just call them and explain your position and see what response you get. You may also want to ask what proof you need of a new address. For example, if you are buying a house, is exchange of contracts sufficient. If you are renting, is a signed tenancy agreement enough or do you need utility bills at the new address.
I'm not sure the question of waiting list vs in year admissions really applies as the school now manages the waiting list but don't take my word for that.
I guess it all depends how serious you are about moving and what your back up plan is, as it sounds as though there is no certainty of a place in any circumstances.
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

Also what score did he get in the Kent test ? the OOC cut off mark is currently 374 while the in area is 351 but this could change (normally lower historically) so moving closer into catchment may move you further up the list but certainly check with the admissions department they are very helpful.
salsa

Post by salsa »

sammy75 wrote:
salsa wrote:Hi Sammy75,

Thanks for your reply. I am expecting lot of rejections from those 65 before DS. Anyone who gave kent exam, they sent a post asking for their preferences. This is in addition to people who gave their preferences in online system. I am guessing many just gave Dartford as a choice without any serious intention of going there. Last year the cut off was 369 for OOC and DS got 360.
Does anybody know how low in score has the waiting list moved in the past few years?
374 to 360 does seem a big jump.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now