My daughter has tonsillitis!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mayfair321

My daughter has tonsillitis!

Post by Mayfair321 »

My daughter spent all weekend in bed as she wasn't feeling well and she has now developed a bad case of tonsillitis! She started antibiotics yesterday although we haven't seen much improvement yet. I can't believe our bad luck! She is due to take the test on Saturday and I am praying she will feel well enough and not have lost too many brain cells from not eating or using her brain for a week! I really don't want to reschedule as we would have to wait until October and I don't want to prolong the process! I am not mentioning the test to her, just trying to get her to rest and plying her with fluids.
Does anyone have any positive stories to put my mind at rest??
kenyancowgirl

Re: My daughter has tonsillitis!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Make the decision based on how she is on Saturday...but remember, if you sign the fit and well sheet, you are signing to say she is fit to take the test, so cannot then provide 'illness' as an extenuating circumstance if you end up at appeal. In other words, if you aren't sure then maybe delay and take it in October (and feed her copious vitamins between now and then!)
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I really would see how she is, tonsillitis is horrible and can take a while to shake off properly. I think better to delay it I'd she isn't 100% , I know it's not ideal, and I really hope she picks up soon.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd got tonsillitis in the middle of her GCSEs and it was an emergency evening trip to A and E the night before one of her exams. Once she got some antibiotics she recovered rapidly and sat all of her exams.

Lots of sleep and fruit and drink seemed to do the trick. You have a backup option , she did not.

As others have said, do not decide yet, evaluate on a daily basis until the day of the exam itself. DG
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

Lots of prayer to your DD, Mayfair and hope she gets well soon. I know how worry you are.
Mayfair321

Post by Mayfair321 »

Thanks everyone. Yes we will just have to monitor her and see on the day. There is still not much improvement this morning so I am not feeling very hopeful. I just feel so sorry for her as she has put in a lot of work over the holidays and she will be devastated to have to wait several more weeks, especially as all her friends will have done the test. Then there will be the added stress of making sure she is not ill or anything second time around!
punkeson

Post by punkeson »

I'm so sorry for you both! Is it worth taking her to your GP so that you can get written confirmation that she's poorly or on medication, in case you need evidence at a later date?
X
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

I would advise getting a doctor's confirmation of the illness, dated as close as possible to the day of the test. Hopefully you won't need it but you will rest easier if you have taken that precaution. Also make sure your primary headteacher is formally advised that your daughter was unwell. I don't see how you could regret getting those things in place just in case. Good luck!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hawkeye wrote:I would advise getting a doctor's confirmation of the illness, dated as close as possible to the day of the test. Hopefully you won't need it but you will rest easier if you have taken that precaution. Also make sure your primary headteacher is formally advised that your daughter was unwell. I don't see how you could regret getting those things in place just in case. Good luck!
punkeson wrote:I'm so sorry for you both! Is it worth taking her to your GP so that you can get written confirmation that she's poorly or on medication, in case you need evidence at a later date?
X
this won't help - if she is ill then she must not take the test, the assumption is that she is well enough to do so if she turns up. Evidence that she was not well will not help at an appeal
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You probably need written proof to take the test later though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now